Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about using fresh cow manure...

Posted by coyle 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 18:39

I'm down the street from some cows and plan on going over there and getting some manure. Now can I just mix it in the dirt and then plant or do I have to wait some time for it to be ready? I'm thinking I will have to wait and am preparing for my fall garden. Please advise. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about using fresh cow manure...

Sorry but while manures are great soil amendments, you should never use fresh manure in the garden because of the pathogen risks associated with it as well as the high N levels it contains (especially if it also contains urine). Standard recommendation is to compost all manures (with the possible exception of rabbit) for a minimum of 5-6 months prior to use.

You can do it several different ways: (1) add it to an existing compost pile or build a new compost pile with it and add multiple carbon sources to it, (2) age it in a pile by itself although odor and flies will be a problem, (3) spread it over the garden in the early fall once harvest is finished and let it compost in place until spring when it can be tilled into the soil.

Don't pass it up but use it safely for best results. ;)

Dave

o
RE: questions about using fresh cow manure...

As Dave has suggested compost that manure before applying it to your garden. My grandfather, and my father, did put fresh manure on their gardens because they were not aware of the potential disease pathogens that could be in that manure. As we learn we should look at applying the knowledge gained instead of just doing what our forefathers did without thinking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here