Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mostly Finished Compost?

Posted by Pd0xGard_ (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 20:35

I've been composting for a couple years now, never really going full bore into it. I've had a pile 3 x 3 by maybe almost 2 ft, ish, never getting too close to 3 x 3 x 3, but I have had a few times where I've been able to get it to heat up to around 145-150F.

It's very dark, and mostly unrecognizable. I frequently add coffee grounds/filters, and vege/fruit scraps mostly, and there are those bits that I just added recently that are easily seen.

I've been dying to actually start using this as a soil amendment, or as a mulch for my pumpkin plants (and others).

Since I'm never really able to get it to 3 x 3 x 3, how should I proceed? I know using unfinished compost isn't really the best idea, but when *can* I use this? Right now the pile is 3 x 3 x 1.5 or so. It doesn't really heat up too much above ambient, maybe 10F above or so at any given time. Should I totally stop adding anything at all to it and give it time to "cure"? If so, when could I use it then? (How do I cure it exactly also)

Just not sure how to proceed, was hoping to be able to put some down around my pumpkins and see if it gives them a boost.

I know I've asked a lot! Sorry! and thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mostly Finished Compost?

The 3 x 3 x 3 thing is a broad rule of thumb for generating and holding heat, and heat is for people who want compost now and don’t want to wait too long. This is often a result of wanting to fix some problem when there’s no stock of the stuff sitting idly by.

If you’ve been letting this work for two years then it is time for another pile. Sift it and toss the lumps into the next batch. There’s very little that’s critical about most composts, and if you’re going to mulch with it, there’s nothing critical. If it’s mild and smells of nothing but earth, consider it “ready”.

o

If you want to add this as a soil amendment, something worked into the soil before planting, it will need more time to finish being digested. Compost used as a soil amendment should not have any recognizable original material in it and can cause that temporary Nitrogen tie up we hear about so often.
However, unfinished compost can be used as a mulch, something laid on top of the soil and not worked in. Sifting is a lot of work and is not necessary.

o

I believe cold weather is right,use most of it or as much as you need now. Seperate recconizable material and clumps and start a new bin with it. If you have good looking compost left over,set it aside then dampen and turn if it isn't used in 2 or 3 months. I would think you have soil which can benifit from mixing surplus compot in rather than holding it. Most important is to apply common sense and reasoning to what others tell you. In this case,consider that many people bury material in their garden without composting at all. All of them report good results and have no complaints about N deficeny and such. Would that not indicate useing material that has 70% composted is an option? Don't let yourself be overwhelmed by details,truth be known,it's difficult to mess things up unless one gos out of their way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here