Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct Mix of Chicken manure and Horse Stall Cleanout??

Posted by foodeefish z8SC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 20:47

I have access to the cleanout of a friends horse stall which looks like mostly hay/straw bedding with a very little bit of wood shavings and some horse Urine and horse manure. My new Neighbor is a chicken Farmer and I can get all the chicken manure I would like from him.

My question is seeing that Chicken Manure is so High in Nitrogen and the Horse stall cleanout has limited nitrogen, but a lot of Browns ( the Hay and Shavings), if I add the two together will the Greens and browns balance make sense?

If this makes sense how much chicken manure should be added tot the Horse Stall cleanout?

Thnx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct Mix of Chicken manure and Horse Stall Cleanout??

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 21:08

Try playing with this.

Lloyd

o

As a general rule of thumb the mix of manure to vegetative waste (the straw/hay, wood chips, or what ever) should be around 1 part manure to 3 parts vegetative waste. I have used that formula with very good results for many years.

o

The real questions and answers depend on how much compost you want,how much of each material you can get and how much work to you want to do in making compost.
With an abundance of space and need for compost,I would layer it as I got it ( 6" to 1' of stall clean out and 1" to 3" chicken manure) keep it damp, turn when/if I felt like it then sit back waiting for the bounty. Two questions come to mind. Does the horseman muck biskits daily between stall clean outs ,and does the chicken keeper put down wood shavings,saw dust or anything? We should all be lucky as you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here