Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sesame seed powder as soil amendment?

Posted by crookedgarden Japan (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 20:49

I have a big old 1 kilo bag of sesame seed powder (fluffy ground up sesame seeds) that is sitting unopened in my pantry because I have no use for it in my cooking. I have no memory of where it came from, but there it is, patiently awaiting its expiration date.
Like any obsessive gardener, I started to wonder if it might be useful in some way as a soil amendment, mulch, or just to add to the compost. Hmmm...
Apparently there are 20 mg of salt in the whole bag. Is that significant enough to be a concern?
We also have a 20 kg bag of flour that someone gave us which we couldn't eat fast enough and has gone rancid. How would one go about composting that, I wonder?
Would love to hear some ideas! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sesame seed powder as soil amendment?

I just remembered, I also have a bag of goldfish food that my cat carried in through the window. Alas, due to the presence of said cat, I have no goldfish to feed it to. Compostable? (the fish food, not the cat.) :D
Kooky questions, I know, but hopefully someone will have a clue. I certainly don't. :/

o

I am sure that all three would be fine additions to the compost heap - but in the case of the sesame a very expensive one. Have you looked into what you could do with it in the kitchen? It's supposed to be very nutritious. Or offer it to a neighbour who would use it?

o

If the sesame powder is still good, you could turn it into tahini (which can be enjoyed as is in any number of ways, or included in hummus). But it should be fine in compost as well. The fish food should be just fine.

o

I would spread the powders throughout the compost pile and not just throw it in a big lump. Other than that, it will all turn into compost. The salt is not enough to worry about.

o

• Posted by lcpw z6 St Louis (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 13:01

I'd apply it right to the soil / lawn / garden.
Things that are powdered are so easily gobbled by the compost/soil beasties that I like to have that happening in close proximity to the plants I'm growing. Flour or sesame powder would just sift down between blades of grass, or could be tucked under mulch, or could be turned in as you turn the soil for a spring garden. Of couse, it'd be fine in compost too - might give it a real boost of heat / fast action (depending on the composition you already have there).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here