Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Termites in pine bark mulch

Posted by gaggysbeach zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 22:30

I opened a huge bag of pine bark nuggets today and found it to be full of termites (at least that's what I thought they were). Thousands of the little buggers. It has been laying out in the yard for about three weeks. What should I do with it? Use it? Burn it? Compost pile? I have lots of roses to mulch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Termites in pine bark mulch

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 23:26

Well, first thing to do, is to confirm what the critters are. Could be ants. Or something else.

o

More than likely those are ant larva, not termites, but as Jean suggested confirm what you have and take the material back to where you bought it and get your money back.

o

Wood mulch does not attract termites; on the contrary, termites prefer a more higher nutrient woody material such as cardboard.

Still, you don't want such critters in your mulch, so while it is in such state, spread it out, and apply what will kill them. You might want to spread it out on a plastic sheet or something else so that the buggers cant escape into the soil to further produce young.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 1:27

Identifying the critters is the first step before applying something to kill them.

It's entirely possible that they won't hurt a thing even if they survive.

And if they are ants, spreading the mulch will disrupt the colony structure. The ants will die without adding nasty chemcials to your immediate environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here