Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fungus in the soil? Good? Bad?

Posted by naiche22 9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 23:56

So I turned up a little soil in the garden to plant a couple of seedlings and found what appeared to be a fungus, it was white and sort of webby. It's a little hard to make it out in the soil pics, but you can see where it grew on the popsicle sticks.

It seemed to permeate areas of soil, but was not in the entire garden. The other reason I think it's fungus is that I purchased the soil from a place that claimed to use mushroom compost in their mix.

Unfortunately, about half of the vegetables we've started aren't doing so good. So I just want to make sure that this white matter is not harmful.

Thanks

From Forum Pics
From Forum Pics
From Forum Pics
From Forum Pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fungus in the soil? Good? Bad?

Probably the mycellium (developing root system) from the mushrooms that grew in that compost. Not harmsul, just breaking down the organics in the soil.

tj

o

Heavy mycelium/hyphae growth can create a barrier in the soil, preventing the rapid infiltration of water as well as the gas exchange from the soil atmosphere and air. Keep it broken up with a garden fork or similar.

I'm not saying that this is what is contributing to the problems your garden is having, but it's something to look out for.

o

Thank you both for the insights.

Here is an update. I actually took the pictures 2 days ago, but posted them last night. I just took another look at the garden and lo and behold, I have mushrooms. They are white and stringy with a black base. I cannot completely tell if there is a correlation between where there is more fungus and where the plants are performing poorly, but it might be something I should fork up as you mentioned, rhizo_1.

I also am posting some critters I am finding to make sure everything is okay. Today when I watered, for the first time I saw what appeared to be a colony of ants surfaced all carrying white things(egg sacs?). Also green and brown (violin?) spiders. Are ants good? bad? or neither?

Actually, this is my first "real" garden. I've mostly done pots in the past, so this is a whole new adventure.

Thanks for the input.

From Forum Pics

From Forum Pics

From Forum Pics

From Forum Pics

From Forum Pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here