Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Returning roots in flower bed

Posted by rtharmon northwest PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 10:32

I have a flower bed near my house that keeps getting over run with roots. To build the flower bed I dug out the existing soil about 8 inches down as the area seemed to have a lot of weeds and rocks. I then filled with garden soil, peat moss, & some compost. The first year was fine. The next year when I went to re-plant some annuals I found a bunch of roots growing about an inch under the surface. I pulled out as much as I could and re-added soil. Each year they get thicker. I have tried adding mulch on top but they just grow right thru it. They never break surface and develop into any type of plant. The roots seem to be choking out anything I try to plant. The area is edged with landscaping timber to make it easier to mow. The closest tree is 8 - 9 ft from the bed. Not exactly sure what it is. I have never added chemicals to try to eradicate the roots because I did not want to hurt my plants. Any ideas of what these are and how to get rid of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Returning roots in flower bed

More than likely they're tree roots. If so, you'll have to continue removing them unless you install a sturdy barrier at least 18 inches wide.

o

what type of tree is 8 feet away?

o

Thanks for the info. Just seems odd. I have never had flower beds get overrun before like this one. I am not certain of the tree. Something in the locust family maybe.

o

Tree roots can be a pain in the butt. Lots of plants are adapted to growing among tree roots, if they didn't there wouldn't be any vegetation under trees in the woods.

I've had good luck growing ginger, jacob's ladder, hypatica, and ferns in flower beds that are full of tree roots.

o

We have roots from a Siberian(?) elm 30 feet from the treeline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here