Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling compost...how to bag it?

Posted by ellen_s z5 centralMA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 10:36

hi
I have a small "garden coaching" business and am starting to sell our homemade compost to some of my clients (we live on a farm so we have plenty of the stuff!).

I am trying to figure out a good way to bag the compost without too much effort - does anybody else here sell compost on a small scale and is willing to share some tips on how to get compost into bags without spilling too much of it everywhere? What size bags do you use? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling compost...how to bag it?

I would sell it by the yard, or a percentage of a yard. Let your customers bring their own containers. Landscape supply companies sell it that way. Al

o

We bought chicken manure from a Rotary club project that had been put into feed bags. Is there a farm nearby that you can get their empty bags for recycling?

o

I would recommend recycled bags since these would complement the composting philosophy (walk gently.)

I transport sifted compost (to the community garden) in the starbucks bags that I get coffee grounds in.

o

This reminds me a little of a story I saw a couple years ago on one of the television news magazines like 20-20. A group of small town kids ages approx 6-12 started a little business. First they mucked out stalls and got paid. Then they sold the manure and got paid. Somehow the IRS got wind of this and really came down hard on them. They were making quite a large amount of money. Anyway, I remember the kids hauling manure in feed sacks (probably from the stable) in wagons to deliver it to their customers.

Back on topic, many feed sacks are double walled so they would be good for dry compost. Ditto lawn and leaf bags but pricey.

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 15:14

Hi Ellen

I also sell some of my compost. I sell it by the 5 gallon/20 liter pail so I measure into into a pail and pour into something else for transport. For the most part, I encourage people to bring something to put the compost into. I remind them that if they use a decent, strong garbage bag, it can still be used for regular garbage after the compost.

For some of the locals that I know, I put it into rubber maid containers or 5 gallon pails and they bring them back next time they are driving by. You gotta love small towns!

Good luck

Lloyd

o

• Posted by juttz z5/6 Mich (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 7:27

I agree with Lloyd...When Ive been traveling I see compost being sold to people in 5 gallon pickle pails..the customer brings the pail and shovels the compost themselves...to tell you what price for that amount, I wouldnt know, but most of the places around here sell it by the yard so you could figure out how much a pail is to a yard..good luck in what you do..I wish you lived close since I cant find a good compost around here..Judy

o

"you could figure out how much a pail is to a yard.."

According to the Google calculator:

5 US gallons = 0.0247556585 cubic yards

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here