Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting corn cobs?

Posted by beneficial_nematoad (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 11:45

Has anyone out there had success composting corn cobs? I've heard they take forever to break down so have not been including them in my piles/bins.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting corn cobs?

I haven't found them to be a problem. Throw them in.

o

Oh yea, the cobs left from human consumption of corn on the cob. Throw them in with the husks, they disappear fast.

o

Thanks for the responses! Those cobs are going down!

o

Glad to hear it. I'm new to composting, but threw some in yesterday.

o

I dug a hole, chopped them some with the shovel and buried them in the garden.

:)

o

I'd chop or shred them first, and bury them in the pile so as not to tempt the raccoons.

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 7:45

I put some in early this summer and they are disintegrating very well. I did chop them up with a cleever a bit, maybe into 3 inch or so pieces. Now when I turn and come across one they crumble in my hand when I squeeze them.

Our store had corn 10 for a dollar so we bought a lot and I froze some. That was a lot of cobs going in and I hardly find any now. I think it might depend on if you get things cooking really good or not. Either way they will break down.

Val

o

The cobs breakdown fine for me. If you can get the husks, they will heat up like grass clippings. I think the coons like the corn more than the cob.

You can use predator urine to keep the coons away. If you think you are predator enuff, use yourine ;-)

o

i dumped 500 pounds of rotting seed corn, the husks from over 100 ears, and a bunch of cobs in mine. they disappeared real quick. although the birds got a good bit of the seed corn!

o

What about the butter used on the corn?

o

How much do you use? Really?
If you think it's that much don't put cobs in. But I think it will be negligible.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 10:00

gumby_ct said:
"How much do you use? Really?
If you think it's that much don't put cobs in. But I think it will be negligible."
If it's that much, don't eat it either! ;)

o

They would have loved you guys at the Aldersgate corn boil. 9000 ears of corn. 9000 cobs to dispose of. Corn Days coming up in DeKalb middle of the month. Thousands upon thousands of cobs going to be left after that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here