Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expired Multivitamin Pills in Compost?

Posted by dawiff z6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 12:17

Has anyone ever put expired multivitamin pills in their compost pile? Anyone have an opinion about whether doing it is good or bad? How would you do it if you did? Crush them up and put them in like that? Dissolve in water? Put them in whole and figure the moisture in the pile would be enough to break them down?

I found two whole bottles in my cabinet and before tossing them in the trash, thought maybe I could put them in the compost....

Whaddaya think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expired Multivitamin Pills in Compost?

I would crush them, disolve them in water (to the extent that they would disolve) and water the pile with the solution.

o

How far out of date? They may still be OK for their original use. Drug manufacturers build a huge margin in. The worst that could happen is they may have lost some potency.

o

Well, I already bought more (which I will probably also forget to take -- LOL). They expired in April 2007, two big bottles of 200 pills each. I just wondered if the plants would be able to use the nutrients even if I couldn't.

o

Well, the plants probably won't need 'em, but possibly some of the bugs and microbes might. At the very least, they'll get broken down and reused for something else.

o

Put them in whole and figure the moisture in the pile would be enough to break them down.

Are there minerals or only vitamins? Minerals wouldn't expire and would still be useful. Vitamins I don't know.

o

that's barely out of date. Unless you want an excuse not to take them, I'm very sure they are still potent. Besides, they are vitamins, not a prescription drug that you need to be efficacious for treating an illness or condition.

o

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'm going to try putting them in whole and see what happens. Even though they are just a few months out of date, I do have about 400 of them, so at the recommended dose (one-a-day, hey guess what brand they are?) if I kept them by the time I finished taking them it would be Fall 2008.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 11:48

Use them whole in the compost or scattered around the flowers. They'll disapper with rain.

o

Can't do any harm and certainly better than land-filling them.

o

Those vitamins are great for your plants!!

An excellent (albeit expensive) way to replenish the micronutrients in your soil. Personally, I would crush them up a bit and spread them all over the compost, water in well so it get's through all the layers.

o

If they are that good, good for micronutrients why not put them right in the beds where the plants could make use of them?

If you water with a can, even better.

My compost won't see plants until next year!!

o

Back in college, my girlfriend (now wife) did an experiment in her Bio class which showed that vitamin E increased plant root cell growth. Granted, that was just an undergraduate research paper, a far cry from a peer reviewed doctoral thesis. But the results were pretty convincing. I always told her she should repeat the experiment and publish it, as it might be an important discovery, but for one reason or another she never did.

-Diggity

o

Well thats nifty! Im going to pop a vit E into the pineapple Ive been trying to get to root.

:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here