Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay for mulch?

Posted by cakbu 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:37

I'm going to have some tree work done and wonder if the chipped results would be good for use in my yard. I have a large, dead pecan tree that has to come out. Also have ten eucalyptus trees that need trimming. Would all this be good for mulch after it is chipped? I do need a lot of mulch and would have to buy it if what I have is not useful; I hate to buy if I can recycle what I have. My garden is strictly ornamental...no food crops.

Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay for mulch?

Yes ... Tell the arborist that you want them to leave the wood chips, and ask if there's a discount because they don't have to go to the dump.

NOTE: Make a nice bare spot for the chips to go

Shovel and spread. they may start composting themselves, but just keep spreading that lovely almost free mulch.

o

Eucalyptus has properties that cause other plants not to grow, and I would not use a pecan that died from a disease. If you know it died from natural causes, then it would be safe.

o

Always reuse and recycle what you can, when you can.
One reason to put something down as mulch is to prevent unwanted plant growth. Eucalyptus does have a bit of a reputation for being allelopathic, growth inhibiting which is what mulch is supposed to do. Some people spend fairly large sums of money buying Eucalyptus chips for mulch.
If that Pecan tree did die of some disease it most likely will not affect other plants, unless it was something like anthracnose, and if so other plants would also be affected.

o

I have used shredded eucalyptus for mulch ... no problems.

If possible, use the pecan for firewood as well as mulch. it burns well.

If you get longish (6-8 ft) logs cut out of it, a local woodworker might take some.

o

the problem with fresh chips.. which are usually 50%+ green leaves... is that you end up with uneven application ...

if you have the room.. i would let them stand and compost themselves until next spring ... and then spread the resultant material ...

but i understand... many of us.. dont have the space for such ....

ken

o

I think the pecan died from neglect. There is a row of them and previous tenants had horses turned out among the trees. This particular tree was chewed and most of the bark stripped from the trunk. Coupled with lack of dry season irrigation for 5 years and I think I am lucky the others have survived...so far. I do irrigate them and my horses are fenced away from them.
Cheryl

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 18:20

Be really nice to the tree guys and maybe you can get another load of chips in the future from their work on someone else's yard!

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 22:38

Don't worry about the eucalyptus. I would use all of it ad then tell the treeguys they can dump more undiseased chips if they want from the next guy.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 22:39

Don't worry about the eucalyptus. I would use all of it ad then tell the treeguys they can dump more undiseased chips if they want from the next guy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here