Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseychick

Mulch alternatives for mold avoidance

Betsey Thompson
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am highly allergic to mold, and have a primary immune deficiency that I was born with. Ever since I was a kid, I got sicker than most people when I got sick and then, when we moved to our present house, we had a mold problem, which has since been resolved. I am now extremely sensitive to mold, so mulch is an issue.

I notice that I don't feel well the day after I work in the garden. If I am planting something, I usually move mulch out of the way, plant, and then redistribute the mulch. I am talking about the kind of mulch you buy at a garden center, made from wood chips.

What else has anyone used that they like, that might be less prone to be moldy? I don't want to give up gardening, but I am also recovering from Lyme Disease that was previously untreated for several years, so I need to minimize things that strain my immune system. I can wear a mask, but if I don't need to do so, I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (17)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Synthetic mulches might be less of a problem for you, but anything will get mold growth eventually.

Things that might help:

1 - when you come in from gardening, strip and take a shower and wash your hair to get the dust and spores off

2 - Use a saline nose spray liberally during and right after gardening to get the crud out of your nose.

3 - Use a fairly strong hose stream to wash off the plants near where you are working.

4 - Try taking an anti-allergy remedy the night before and the morning of the gardening.

• jrmckins
    11 years ago

One of the main purposes of mulch is to retain moisture. Anywhere there is moisture with little air flow (like in the mulch) you can get mold. You'd probably be better off removing the mulch and installing a series of drip lines to keep the soil damp when needed.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

I would add to lazy's suggestions, to use a fine spray of water on the mulch before you disturb it AND occasionally while you're working to keep the spores down.

I hate to say it, but crumb rubber mulch might be your thing.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Only organic mulches - something that will decompose - can develop mold or fungal spores. Inorganic mulches - recycled tires, lava rock, pea gravel, etc. - do not decompose and therefore cannot generate molds.

Personally, I would encourage mulching above virtually any other garden practice - its benefits far outweigh any drawbacks. My personal choice would be an organic mulch simply because those give back to the soil but I'd opt for an inorganic mulch before skipping a mulch altogether.

FWIW, compost itself makes an excellent mulch and as it is nearly fully decomposed plant material, may not mold as much as other organic mulches. I might be inclined to test it out in a small area and see how that affects you. Mulching with compost virtually eliminates any need to fertilize also.

• hortster
    11 years ago

I, too, am for the organic mulches. Inorganic mulches gradually fill with dust and other OM and become a PITA. The mask may be undesirable but perhaps necessary. Should you desire to use a mask, use one of high quality. Cedar and cypress seem to biodegrade (via fungal activity) more slowly, yet do decompose. I have had puffballs in thin areas of turf and slime molds in both of the named mulches, creating huge amounts of spores.
    Having said all of that, CULTIVATION of the soil surface is another option, forming a "dirt mulch" and breaking the capillary action in the soil. Obviously the problem here is the physical re-cultivation after each significant rain. However, if the choices are limited, you are young of limb and want to wear no mask you might consider cultivation.
    horster

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

The "synthetic" mulches present even more health issues then do the mulches made from renewable resources. The shredded leaves and wood chips that I use as mulch material can create respiratory problems (seasonal allergies, asthma, and emphysema) for me if I do not wear a dust mask while working in the garden.
    Molds will be present in many places, not just mulches, and avoiding them while outside is nearly immpossible. Short of wearing a space helmet a dust mask will help.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

I'd use a cartridge mask rather than those cheap pressed paper masks. I will include a link to one similar to mine. The mask is rubber and seals to your face a lot better, and the cartridges take out dust down to micron size, much better than the paper masks. A bonus is that the cartridges are screw-in, and there are activated carbon cartridges available so it's great for paint and solvent fumes. I use mine regularly.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:298572}}

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

The "synthetic" mulches present even more health issues then do the mulches made from renewable resources.

That is an overly broad statement that really doesn't have much to support it. Exactly what kind of health issues are generated by rock mulches? Recycled rubber mulches may be on the upper end of the scale with discussions about their benefits or drawbacks but new technologies have pretty much eliminated any concerns about them as well. And inorganic mulches (the term 'synthetic' is rather misleading as well) do not decompose so therefore are unable to contribute to any mold issues directly.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

Artificial turf.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

gardengal, I doubt anyone would classify stone as a synthetic material while the "rubber" from shredded tires is. I have seen man made rocks, pavers, and building blocks although none of them have been made with synthetic material.

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

subject not topic i expected, which is good.

unfortunately, i don't think there is an easy answer for these purposes. and most answers would force people to distance themselves from personally held opinions...which my opinion is fine for me...but for the question under discussion who really cares?

mineral or synthetic would be my suggestions to cut down in mold contamination. drip line irrigation installed under soil level to minimize moisture (toro has a line with emitters in-line, used mostly in athletic fields).

this may be an asinine question...but what are your tolerances to copper?

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Since the size of mold spores is fairly largish, 1 micron or larger, a HEPA filter is not necessary for use where mold spores can cause repiratory problems. Most masks designated for dusts are N95 masks meaning they will filter 95 percent of particles 0.3 microns in size or larger. Since a dust mask costs around $2.00 each and a HEPA mask can cost upwards of $40.00, plus cartridges, I'd not even consider them since they are not necessary.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Would h202 help with the mold?

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Hydrogen Peroxide would probably, in large enough quantity, kill off the mold spores for a time and then they would return. Molds are a normal part of our environment so we need to learn to live with them, not kill them off. Molds, along with bacteria and fungi, are necessary members of our world.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

Thanks for that particle size info kimmsr, I had not looked that up. I may indeed have overshot on the HEPA thing. Perhaps there are less expensive dust masks that will work. I was trying to make the point that the cheapie disposable ones with the rubber bands are so leaky around the edges that they won't do much. Your info should help eliza if she (I assume 'she' :-) is going to go that route.

• Betsey Thompson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input! Sorry for the late response.

I am glad to hear others wear masks, and I think I have just been in denial about needing one!

I have a respirator like the one you provided a link to, toxcrusadr, and I agree that due to the looseness of some of the other masks, it is a good idea. It also cuts down on glasses fogging up, which is one of my frustrations. I think I will try it in the garden and see how I do.

Strobiculate, are you asking about copper tolerance because supplementing with it may help with mold toxicity? I am all ears and am open minded with regard to supplements. My Lyme doctor uses both western and alternative approaches to mold and Lyme, so I can ask her about it as well.

Kimmsr, that is very interesting about the size of the spores.

I think my preference is to stick with organic mulch, so I just have to accept that I need to protect myself. It beats the idea of not gardening for sure! Gardengal, I also like the idea of compost.

Thanks, again, for all of your thoughts. The saline spray is another great idea, so thanks, lazygardens.My doctor just started treating me with an anti-fungal nasal spray, so that will help, too.

If nothing else, this discussion has changed my attitude about wearing a mask. My ordeal has changed my life in so many ways, and sometimes I just get mad that I am continually having to adapt when I feel I have already done so much of that!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths