Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lemon for compost?

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 14:36

I started composting not long ago. I use one lemon everyday, so I add lemon to my compost pile too. My husband just saw me doing it and asked me if lemon was too acidic. Without proper knowledge, I answered him according to what I thought. Yes, a lemon ITSELF is acidic. Since a lemon is acidic itself, it helps the entire compost break down faster. When it is mixed with other organic materials, everything balances out at the end.

However, now just thinking about it, I might have misconcept about everything according to what I thought myself. Therefore, i might miseducated my husband too. I would like to relearn about this subject about lemon vs compost. Please educate me. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lemon for compost?

I put the lemon in!

Maybe a compost bin of all lemons would be too acidic, but like you said, when it is mixed with other materials, it all balances out.

o

I'm not really clear on what your question is. Is it ok to add lemons to compost piles? Yes. Does their acidity contribute to the speed of the composting process? No more so than anything else does. The acidity or alkalinity of an organic material really isn't relevant to the composting process.

Adding citrus fruits to vermicomposting bins isn't recommended but for regular compost piles, it poses no problems. I linked a previous discussion on this for you below.

Hope this answers your question.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus fruit peels in Compost?

o

Thank you. Yes, my question is answered.

o

Even better - grow your own lemons , enjoy fresh picked fruit and then put the peels in your compost . Can you grown a Myers lemon in a pot up where you are ? Even if you have cold winters , you could drag the pot into your garage during freezes .

o

That depends on the volume you add. If you were to add tons of citrus at one time that could influence what the bacteria do, but adding one, used, lemon per day is not enough to cause a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here