Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adeleorganicvegan

Bad soil for beans and cukes

adeleorganicvegan
15 years ago

I have been trying to grow cucumbers and string beans in my raised bed/boxes for the past 4 years and have had problems with wilting diseases. I have tried locating the plants in different boxes, used different disease resistant seeds but without any success. The plants start out great, I'll get a small harvest then everything goes downhill. The plant starts turning yellow, the fruit stops growing, shrivels up, then falls off. So, my question is this. Are there any types of companion plants( herbs or veggies) that I can grow in these boxes that will either kill or deter the wilt from attacking my plants every year? Or should I just give up growing cukes and string beans. Everything else I plant in these boxes does really well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if it matters but I have only purchased non gmo and organic seeds and plants for my garden.

Adele

Comments (6)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

You might have a nematode problem. You can buy beneficial nematodes which you can add to your soil. They will consume any harmful nematodes which might be there. Do a Web search on nematodes. You can purchase a can of nematodes on-line.

Marigolds are supposed to be helpful for correcting nematode problems. They are also helpful for deterring insect pests. I have French marigolds planted throughout my large produce garden, as well as some lavender and santolina for pest control. Chrysanthemums also help to repel insect pests.

You might want to consider putting in a winter cover crop which will enrich your soil with nitrogen and minerals. Something which can be dug in come spring, as a green manure. Good luck!
    Lorna

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

What is your soil in those planting boxes?
    What is the soil pH of that soil?
    How well does that soil hold moisture?
    How well does that soil clump and how well does that soil fall apart, the tilth?
    What does that soil smell like?
    How much life is in that soil, earthworms?

• adeleorganicvegan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Lorna. I will definitely look into the nematodes and marigolds. I have some lavendar growing but not in the infected boxes. I have looked into a winter cover crop and will be doing some research to see which ones are best for boxes. Your suggestions were very helpful.

• adeleorganicvegan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great questions kimmsr. I'll do my best to answer.
    The soil I have is half store bought/organic soil from a nursery while the other half is compost from my composter.
    I haven't tested my soil. I'll get one of those kits today. I promise. The soil holds moisture fairly well. The soil is in boxes, some long and narrow while others are rectangular or square. The soil falls apart when squeezed (when damp). The soil smells, hmmm.. hard to describe but mushrooomy. There actually is some weird fungi growing at different times of the year. Some that cover a large area others that are more like mushrooms or little cups.
    Lots of red worms. I added them a few years ago and there is a good population. Hope these questions can help to discern what's going on in my boxes. Thanks so much for taking an interest. I would really, really like to grow cukes and beans again.

• jean001
    15 years ago

if the problem is nematodes, you'll see evidence on the roots. The nemas common in So Cal are root knot nematodes (RKN) which make small, irregular shaped bumps along the roots.

Then if it's RKN, the bit about "You can buy beneficial nematodes which you can add to your soil. They will consume any harmful nematodes which might be there" sounds good, but is a lot of wishful thinking.

As for using marigolds against RKN, you must have a solid planting for the entire season -- the result is that the nema population will be suppressd but not eradicated.

And yes, definitely use a winter cover crop which you'll dig into the soil. As with marigolds, doing so will suppress the nema population but not get rid of it.

So dig up a failed plant and look at the roots. If they're knobby with RKN, put transplants into the garden rather than seed directly into the beds.

• adeleorganicvegan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jean001. Thanks for the comments. Well, it looks like I definitely have RKN. I saw many bumps on the roots when I took out the diseased plants. So, you don't think the beneficial namatodes work? Can they help a little? The cukes were transplants but the beans were planted as seeds. Do you recommend a special cover crop for boxes that will help the RKN? Thanks again.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County