Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using shredded Asian bush honeysuckle as mulch?

Posted by KateinDC 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 15:25

After we bought this house, I dug out all the Asian bush honeysuckle in the yard and shredded it. The piles have been sitting in a corner of the backyard since 2011, and I haven't dared using them as mulch because I read the plant is allelopathic. Do you think this is a concern for mulch when it's aged three years? I might be overthinking this...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using shredded Asian bush honeysuckle as mulch?

I regularly put Lonicera prunings on my compost heap. I really don't think you need worry about three year old material.

o

One reason mulches are used is to suppress unwanted plant growth so if a material has allelopathic properties that would be a benefit. I would use them, although probably not close to plants I wanted growing.

o

Yay, kill the invasive honeysuckle and shred the corpses!

o

Use it ... my only concern about honeysuckle would be it sprouting from the nodes.

All this "I read somewhere it's allelopathic" is usually someone misquoting a study they didn't understand.

o

3 year old material is unlikely to cause any problems. As long as no green present, no worries.

With regards to allelopathy, composting typically negates this effect......and even cold composting will achieve similar results. Also it is important to understand that allelopathy is not uniform. Effects are typically noted only on certain plant species and published literature on any of the Loniceras indicates very mixed results. Even studies that DID conclude some mild allelopathy conditioned that conclusion with a statement indicating context dependency with respect to soil microorganisms and native species identity but not to light conditions or soil type.

o

Thank you all, especially gardengal48 for the detailed insights. So I suppose I don't need to worry about it, which is good because I'm not exactly sure which piles of shredded brush are the honeysuckle... We shredded a lot of stuff back then. And I can't use any mulch away from desirable plants because our property isn't big enough to have mulched areas without desirable plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here