Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees in my compost pile

Posted by pepbob1 zone5, nh (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 15:35

When i was out turning my compost pile today, i was surprised when a swarm of bees emerged out of the pile itself, they may have been just as surprised that i was there as well. no, i didnt get stung and i welcome the bees. the only reason i was turning the pile is because we have had a LOT of rain the last 5 weeks and the pile was looking water logged, i thought if i moved it around a little more air etc would get into the pile etc. i had planned on using that pile this fall as i hope to install some new perrenial flower beds. My question concerns the bees, would they ovewinter there if left alone, will they die off natually etc etc etc any tips, hints or info will be greatfully accepted. i live in Nashua Nh Zone 5 typically we have very cold winters, sometimes we have a lot of snow, sometimes we dont, but its always cold.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees in my compost pile

Were these really bees or could they have been the Yellow Jackets, a wasp, that many people mistake for bees? I have had the yellow jackets nest in a compost pile, and that was how I found the moisture I was adding was not getting to where I thought is was going. The yellow jackets will not overwinter, except for one quenn that will emerge next spring to find a new nest site. They do not nest in the same plant again. As I recall, it has been some time, ground dwelling bees do much the same, only a queen lives through the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here