Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moldy compost

Posted by Dani0025 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 16:44

So for lack of better judgement I tossed some cooked rice into the compost. Its now all white and furry. Should I just scoop out the moldy bits or is my compost toast?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moldy compost

• Posted by TXEB 9a (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 17:15

Actinobacteria (aka actinomycetes) - very, very good thing to have in a compost pile.

o

It's decomposing. That's what compost does. No worries!

o

I was only worried because I tossed the rice directly on top and that was the only moldy thing lol.
I ended up just mixing it all together, and everything seems ok. I was half expecting to come out the next morning to find the entire thing a big ol ball of fuzzy mold. It was fine though =)
Sorry for the probably dumb question, still kind of new at this.
Thanks for your responses!

o

Cooked or uncooked rice is fine for a compost pile as long as it doesn't have oils or meat in it.

o

Perhaps this link might be of some use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting Tutorial

o

Don't fret. Just get a yard fork and turn it under. It will take care of itself after that. Various molds are pretty normal in a compost pile - business as usual.

o

I did end up mixing it up, its in a rubbermaid bin so I put the top on it and tipped it around a bit. Today (7/23) and there was no mold to be found =)
Its good news to hear that its ok to have some mold in there

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here