Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nasty Mulch

Posted by raehant none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 16:49

Hi All! Can anyone tell me what is this white stuff all over my mulch? The mulch is Preen brand black mulch and it was purchased about 2 months ago but I just got around to laying it down recently. Is it mold from sitting in the bags for a couple months in the heat and humidity? I am pregnant and wore a mask and gloves while laying it down but I'm nervous that I've exposed myself to something really dangerous. Any advice would be appreciated as to what this is. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nasty Mulch

fungus is usually what attacks wood ... i would think that.. long before i leaped to mold ...

i think your pic is out of focus ... which doenst help ...

ken

o

Degrading the mulch.
Not a problem for your plants.

o

Thank you for the replies. I'm more concerned about the mulch being harmful to me than my plants. Any thoughts on that?

o

Since it is a mulch that is treated with herbicides, it is possible what you are seeing are traces of these products. However, I would more likely consider Ken's response of evidence of natural decomposition (fungus OR mold), especially if the bags have been sitting around in heat and humidity for any length of time.

My personal opinion is that the completely natural fungus/mold is far preferable and infinitely less harmful to you than the herbicide (not to mention the dye) in the mulch but that's just me :-))

This post was edited by gardengal48 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 17:45

o

They're all probably right. Without a good pic the guess is it's a fungus growing fruiting spore bodies on wood in humidity and it will run it's course and go back to being out of sight but (still) everywhere.

But just to echo one sentiment above that wasn't elaborated on, when you feel you have to protect yourself from your gardening materials, that's a warning sign that something is not right with the world.

o

The thought that you are using a preemergent herbicide, actually working with it yourself while pregnant gives me the chills. Please don't get anywhere near the stuff again for the duration of your pregnancy and after.

The same goes for insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, and many household cleaning products.

o

I would assume that it is probably, as it is Preen brand mulch, Preen weed inhibitor. Otherwise it is probably Actinomycetes, yeast, mold, or fungi that break down cellulose and lignin in wood. Nothing to worry about, but as you are pregnant, definately wear gloves and mask when working with it.

It should disappear next time it rains, or if it freaks you out, drag out the hose and water it in.

o

Thank you for all the replies. I should not have worked with this mulch...period! I honestly didn't know that it had herbicides in it. I thought it was just plain wood mulch. I am panicked about it but there is nothing I can do now. I am in my second trimester when most major organs are formed and I am praying that with the mask and gloves my risk factor is very low. As for the mold/fungus I am not as concerned about that as the herbicides at this point. I have placed a call to my doctor and I am praying he tells me everything is ok. I can't be the first pregnant woman to lay mulch down, right? Who knew mulch could be so dangerous? They really should have warning labels on the bag warning pregnant women not to use it. Not everyone knows about these chemicals. Anyway, thank you again for the replies. I will be staying far away from any type of yard work for a very very long time!

o

"But just to echo one sentiment above that wasn't elaborated on, when you feel you have to protect yourself from your gardening materials, that's a warning sign that something is not right with the world."

This is just sillyness. Most of the flowers people keep are more poisonous than the herbicides/pesticides they're so worried about.

o

"The thought that you are using a preemergent herbicide, actually working with it yourself while pregnant gives me the chills. Please don't get anywhere near the stuff again for the duration of your pregnancy and after."

Why? Because of your ignorance? Scaring people for no good reason is not a positive behavior. The pregnant lady has enough to worry about.

Preen mulch contains:
0.0032% Trifluralin (Treflan) and 0.0008% Isoxaben

for Trifluralin, the NOAEL (No-Observed Adverse Affect Level) established by the EPA is .75 mg/kg/day, and that's for injection level. You'd need to eat about a tenth of a bag of mulch a day to see adverse affects from the Trifluralin.

The NOAEL for Isoxaben is 110mg/kg/day, which comes to 10g or so for a typical adult.. You'd need to eat a whole bag for that.

And that's toxicity levels for consumption. We're talking exposure here, which is much lower.

o

Bless you JoppaRich!!! You made me feel so much better by your post. I was almost on the verge of a meltdown over this mulch! Thank you so much for easing my mind :)

o

Well done Joppa.

And that is almost certainly 'white rot fungus' which is an extremely important and beneficial part of the ecosystem. Without it, we'd be miles deep in wood debris because it would never decompose. Not particularly harmful to humans. If you haven't gotten a sinus headache or sneezing and watery eyes, don't worry about it. In rare cases people have gotten respiratory infections from fungi, but usually becuase they were immunocompromised and/or it was a particular type of fungus. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here