Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please give me your 2 cents!

Posted by smdmt z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:55

Last fall I started preparing an annual cut flower bed (about 20'x5') by digging up the sod, adding a layer of cardboard and putting down an inch or so of horse manure and leaves. I topped that with turned over sod and compost.
This spring I planted the annuals in the mix and they have done quite well. Now, I am thinking this fall to add more leaves, compost, etc. What would you recommend to cover it with so the good stuff isn't lost in the wind and rain/snow? Perhaps a cover crop like I will do in my vegetable garden?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please give me your 2 cents!

To keep things from blowing away, put a layer of branches (from tree pruning somewhere) over the top of the bed.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 22:47

Or you could just grow the cover crop.

How much organic matter did you start with in the soil?

o

Where in the Rocky Mountains are you? Whether you might need something to hold those leaves in place depends on many things, starting with what kind of winter winds you have and what kind of snow cover you can expect and when. Where I am I have not had a problem with winds blowing the shredded leaves off the planting beds, even if there was nothing to hold them in place except snow. But then I planted windbreaks around from day one although I still get snow drifting from the winter winds and snow fencing does help.
I found, many years ago, that a mulch and a cover crop do not do very well together, even though the cover crop may trap some wind blown leaves.

o

I put compost or half finished compost down in the fall and cover with leaves or leaf-grass clipping mix. A leaf-grass mix stays in place in the wind, seems the grass ties things together better. Not sure if you can get grass clippings where you are. You could also mulch over the top with shredded wood or yard waste. Or use a piece of burlap or lightweight bird netting. I've reused the nets they put over Christmas trees when they sell them, perfect for keeping a leaf pile down. Or if you have a veggie garden, lay your tomato cages on top of the leaves for winter.

o

Tox! Ahhhh burlap! We used to get our animal food in those lovely re-usable burlap bags!
Now you have to go to the fabric store and BUY burlap! It's fairly inexpensive, but you still have to BUY it! Nancy

o

Ah, the good old days. Now everything is in semi-useless plastic packaging. :-[

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here