Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushrooms growing all over my veggie garden!

Posted by sweetbrat z6 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 18:55

This is the first year I've used mulch on my veggie garden, but decided to due to issues with weeds. After doing some reading, I decided to mulch with straw. Well, we've had a lot of rain and hot weather lately, and now I have mushrooms popping up all over. I'm also concerned about the soil being too wet underneath. Is there something I should do, or just wait for drier weather and let things keep going as they are? I want to make sure my garden stays healthy. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushrooms growing all over my veggie garden!

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 19:47

Mushrooms usually die fairly quickly in my garden and I mulch with lots of different things.

It's probably nothing to worry about that.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 19:48

Generally, mushrooms are doing us a favor by decomposing other organic materials and making the nutrients from them availble to other plants. I wouldn't worry about it.
hortster

o

The mushrooms are the fruit of a fungal colony in your soil and they grow because that fungal colony is fairly content and wants top spread, thus the mushrooms that will spread the spores. Your soil may contain quite a bit of undigested wood which is usually why I find mushrooms growing in my soil, I've not usually seen them just because I spread straw.

o

g'day sweetbrat,

mushrooms are a good sign of a healthy garden, if they are edible all the better, lots aren't of course.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o

Do a search on this forum for the term mycorrhizal. Mushrooms are a very, very good indication that your soil is a friendly environment for fungi. Most plant benefit from a mycorrhizal relationship.

You be the judge; how are your plants doing? Are they happy?

o

I'd say mushrooms, like earthworms, showing up is a good sign. Mushrooms need moisture and organic matter to grow. They don't need light. Sounds like your garden soil has good organic content and microbes. However, you should research editable mushrooms before eating them. There are mushrooms that grow around here in horse manure piles (we have lots of horses in the area) that certain folks gather for their "mind-bending" properties. They actually trespass to collect them. So eating mushrooms indiscriminatly may take you "far-out".

Here is a link that might be useful: Worms Are Our Friends

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here