Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Testers That Give % Readings

Posted by bobvisaaa none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 19:20

I am looking for a soil tester that will give me the percentages of NPK thats in my compost. I would like to spend less than $100 for it. Is this possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Testers That Give % Readings

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 23:54

For under $100? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

o

There are any number of soil testers that cost less than $100.00 and give readings in percent, but whether they are any good is the question. Few are reliable enough to be of much use, and most all of them rely on an electric current to determine soil chemicals.

o

It looks like I am not really going to find an inexpensive way to get NPK readings by doing my own soil test, can anyone recommend a soil testing laboratory I could use?

o

Where are you? Each states university that has an Ag school may provide that service, although some don't. The link below provides a list of them throughout the United States

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Cooperative Extension

o

You should be able to get a lot of lab analysis done before you cross the $100 mark. What kind of compost volume are you producing per year, and how many tests would you be running?

In 20 years of (suburban garden) composting, I've analyzed my soil twice and my compost once. Unless there are problems occurring, I figure if I put good ingredients into the compost, good compost comes out. So far it's worked pretty well. Of course I have no idea what your operation looks like, so I'm not saying you don't need to test, just sharing my experience.

o

That was just my point on the other thread, if you put good things in and you make compost yourself, you are ok, but if you buy it somewhere and have it trucked in then you should test it before adding it, as once it is added, it is really hard to undo anything to the soil. Unless of course, someone before you, added something bad, or there was meth lab waste located in your garden.

o

I think I saw that on H&G Network - "Make a Lovely Garden Meth Lab!"

Seriously though, I have used a multitude of imported compost products and have never noticed any problems in the garden that I could attribute to them. I look for good appearance and aroma, and I vary the types rather than using just one source. I've never felt the need to test any and all imported compost. YMMV.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here