Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalpatsy

OK, another BSF thread....

petalpatsy
15 years ago

kimmsr, I've come to think BSF larvae are bad in my compost.

I'll put in another interesting link, but my own deal breaker is: I'm having immense trouble keeping my pile hot.

I'm a gardener, and I started composting for my garden--not as a waste disposal method. I just do have weeds (blushes) and sometimes they get to seed stage. I've always been sure to get a batch of compost up to 140-150 for a day, to kill weed seeds. After a batch has been hot, I don't add more weeds to it. It gets turned into my finish out pile before I weed again.

The BSFL larvae chew through my greens at a phenomonal rate. They don't digest cellulose. I've had a time overwhelming them with greens--been at it for a week of confusion before I found this link and added a humongous amount of grass clippings and USG--about 40lbs of grass because I could barely lift the bag, and the a greater weight of UCG--I sprained my wrist.

15 kg of food waste a day? My compost pile had been hijacked and turned into a worm farm, but without worms. (I suppose mesophilic bacteria do their usual work on the remaining browns and castings.) BSFL also completely replaced my roly-poly population.

Today, my pile is 150, and I'm happy. Just to know, I looked into the middle and there were no BAFL in the heat. I suppose most of them migrated to the edges, but for the first time in my life I turned a hot pile, since it was unusually compact for me, and anaerobic is NOT what I'm after. BTW, note from the link that BSFL tolerate extreme oxygen deprivation. But they don't like heat. Burn, baby, burn.

Tomorrow, I'll turn in more leaves to loosen things up a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another BSF link

Comments (5)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I would agree that BSF larvae is an indication of a cold compost operation.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

If one could tell the difference between the larva of the various fly species then maybe, possibly having the larva of the Black Soldier Fly might be beneficial. However, since the larva of the Common House Fly (known to spread disease pathogens), the Stable Fly, and many other species of flies that are pests look very similar to most of us then having maggots in your compost is not a good thing. All of these maggots need an environment that is too moist for good, aerobic composting.

Here is a link that might be useful: What UI says about maggots

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Its easy to tell the difference between house fly larvae and black soldier fly larvae.

BSF Larva:
    Black soldier fly larvae grow up to 2cm long, and are flattened dorso-ventrally with a headlike narrow anterior structure bearing lateral eye spots and visible antennae and maxillae.

The larvae are clearly segmented and slightly tapered. They are dull tan to white in color, but often appear darker brown because of the adherence of manure (especially in poultry houses).

House fly larvae:
    The integument of the house fly larva consists of an outer acellular cuticle and an inner single layer of epithelium which rests on a basement membrane. The cuticle is covered with an epicuticle and has a stratified structure. The cuticle is 5µm thick in young larvae (36 hours old), 25µm in 60-hour-old larvae and 40µm in last (third) instar larvae.

The larva is white and cylindrical, with the posterior end broad and flattened. It tapers anteriorly.
    There are no eyes or appendages, although there are some ventral spiny ridges which aid locomotion. The larvae have 13 segments, but the first two are partially fused so that only 12 segments are apparent.

Some of the internal organs may be seen through the cuticle. The spiracles are openings for air to enter the respiratory system of the larva. The posterior spiracles (on the broad blunt end) are distinctive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fly information

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

If your fly larva are eating manure they will be brownish in color, but unless your compost pile has manure on the top (and manure should never be the top of a compost pile) the maggots in any compost pile will be the creamy color most people see. Even the common house fly larva that eat manure will be brownish in color.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I wouldn't rely on color to identify larvae either.

I would use size, shape and other indicators described previously (visible antennae and eye spots). BSF Larvae are larger and flatter. House Fly larvae are cylindrical, rounder, and smaller.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022