Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting compost tea using the rubbermaid bins method

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 21:39

Hello

I recently set up a worm bin with rubbermaid bins (I found the video on youtube). However, after I was finished setting it up, I realized that the person who set it up did not set up his bin so that I could collect the compost tea. Is there a way I can modify my bin so that I CAN collect it, because I've heard it's very good for your plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting compost tea using the rubbermaid bins method

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 9:23

better question for the vermicomposting forum, they know their stuff over there ;)

It would also help to know what all you have done to your bin so we can know what else you need to do. From my limited knowledge of the topic, all you really need simply put is drainage holes on the bottom and something to catch the drippings, like you would use a saucer for a potted plant. something bigger than the bin and deep enough to hold some liquid (but I'd guess only a few inches is plenty). I dont think these bins typically (if they are balanced correctly) put out a whole lot of liquid.

o
RE: Collecting compost tea using the rubbermaid bins method

Agreed, the vermicomposting forum. But that's not tea, it's leachate, you can put it diluted on your plants, I generally pour it on my hot compost pile by removing the top bin and pouring the bottom bin on the pile. Do a search on AVCT aearated vermicompost tea is really what your after. I collect bim, by putting a stocking of cooked brown rice and molasses in the bin (more to it, search out BIM on this forum).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here