Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersnhens

Spreading compost in Fall or Spring??

flowersnhens
14 years ago

HI there,,,I have been making my own compost for a couple years now. I had very good luck with my first try. I ended up with Black Crumbly Moist Soil. I was quite pleased. I now have a big compost bin made with wooden pallets that I started last fall,,Started with all the leaves from the yard, and grass clippings as well as all the kitchen scraps, old straw and chicken coop manure. I just turned it completely over for the first time,,and it is really starting to look great, but not quite ready yet. My question is this: Is it best to spread it on the veggie garden this fall??? Or should I wait until spring??? I am wondering if I spread it on this fall,,will it be just as fertile after overwintering in the garden all winter?? (temps go down to subzero here). Should I let it stay in the compost bin and add to it through winter?? or spread it when it is done this fall????? How long will it provide a good balance of nutrients to my garden???

AND: This particular bin is in mostly shade. Is that ok?? Or should I move it to a more sunny spot??? My last one sat in part sun/part shade. I have this one out of sight from the road,,so it is in a shadier spot this year. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Flowersnhens.

Comments (7)