Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dotblossoms

Mulch near wooden fence

dotblossoms
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

This is my very first post. I live in a condo and have rectangular patio with a garden around the perimeter. And around that there is a cedar fence on three sides.

When I moved in, there was a thick layer of dyed red wood mulch in the flower beds, which I removed. That year, I went mulch-less to see what was actually growing in the garden

Last year, after raking out a ton of maple keys, I put down a cedar mulch. But I put a line of rocks against the fence so that the wooden mulch wouldn't touch the wooden fence. I had heard that that couple foster termites.

This year, the mulch needed replacing, so I tried the mulch made from shredded rubber tires. Big mistake. It was ugly and attracted bugs. Two weeks ago, I removed it.

I'm so mystified by mulch. I'm in Massachusetts. Should I remulch now or wait until spring? And what is the official word on mulch near a wooden fence. Is the line of rocks okay or is that just as bad? I might not plant anything directly into the ground next year (moving toward elevated planters), so would I need to mulch at all? I have friends who don't mulch next to their house and their gardens are beautiful.

Many thanks!

Comments (3)