Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching in slug country

Posted by jacqueinthegorge USDA 8 / Sunset 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 2:46

I've just moved to an area famous for slugs. Several things I planted were slimed to death until I started using Sluggo regularly.

So I want to use mulch, and my old standby is straw, but I am afraid I will just be creating more slug habitat. I'd love to know what other people in slug territory use.

Edited to add - my soil is kind of gravelly/sandy, probably old glacial deposits.

Thanks!

This post was edited by jacqueinthegorge on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 2:49

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching in slug country

Slugs really like the cool, moist environment mulches create. All of us that mulch have slugs and we deal with them as we need to. I have found that cold caffeinated coffee sprayed on plant leaves is a good deterrent and saucers of stale beer is a good trap.

o

Thanks, I've heard of the beer traps, but never the coffee. Does a particular strength work best, and will the deterrent effect work through several rainstorms/waterings?

The last place I lived where the climate was conducive to slugs, I never had an issue. But I did have lots of ground beetles, and apparently they eat slug eggs. Haven't seen many ground beetles here...

o

I've started waiting to mulch (I use hay) until the plants are a little bigger, and then the slugs either leave them alone or eat only the outside leaves and let the rest grow. But my area isn't known as a slug paradise, just medium slug-ness.

o

I've used whatever was left in the pot but it does nerd to be reapplied after a rain or overhead watering since that will wash any coffee residue off.

o

I take the 20 oz plastic soda bottles, remove the lid, cut off the top part after the flair, turn it around into the bottle and staple it in place. I do use slug bait, but only in these bottle traps. I place these around the garden on their side. This way I am not spreading pesticide around. The slugs go in, but they don't come out.

o
Bottle traps

I also cut soda bottles and put the top part inverted into the bottom part. Rather than putting slug bait in, I put some water mixed with some sugar and yeast in. The slugs stand in line to get in. Sluggo also does a remarkable job on mulched areas. The recommended application rates are quite low, and I see a marked reduction in slugs and their damage immediately.
Renais

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here