Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe a good idea

Posted by kimmsr 4a/5b-MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 7:28

This episode of Growing a Greener World illustrates a very good idea about educating people, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: GGW 401

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe a good idea

I don't know if there is any connection, but this teacher from the South Bronx gave a TED talk in 2012 that blew me away. He talks about changing the way we think, in a lot of ways, and shows a lot of great photos of his inner city school kids growing food on roofs and just about anywhere. He's obviously very passionate about it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/stephen_ritz_a_teacher_growing_green_in_the_south_bronx

o

The educational theory classes I took back in the 1960's said people learn better when more of the senses are involved in learning. Yet, today the most common form of teaching is the worst way to learn, the lecture.

o

I read this book "Brain rules" (Medina) that explained that our human brains have evolved and are hardwired to learn as our ancestors hunters gatherers used to learn, which is while walking, moving and using all their senses. To be honest I found the book in a pile offered for free on a walkway in Cambridge, MA, so it was a pretty good bargain for a great book ;-) Well, whatever.

It is wonderful when one spreads knowledge like that, and does one's share to change the world. Teaching young generations is important.

Kimmsr, not only teaching ways are not always adapted to our brains, but our working environments are not either : cubicles with sitting human beings in artificial light and artificial temperatures are pretty much a nightmare.

On a more positive side, the ways young ones are taught in your country is far more better than here, where guilt, terror, coerciveness, and respect of the older teacher (even when he's a useless bugger) are the main tools to keep a classroom quiet and, obviously, listening, understanding, remembering ;-) Not to mention loving it all along ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here