Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on "green manure"

Posted by charleskoz (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 7:37

When I emptied my garlic bed in July I planted a bunch of bush beans.. just randomly scattered about. The whole bed is now lush and so full I can't see the soil... and they are starting to flower.

I had read that beans could be used to naturally improve soil which is why I planted these. I'm just not sure what to do with them now. :)

Am I supposed to till them under while the plants are at peak as they are now? Let them set beans and then till under then? Or wait until they die?

I assume if I till them under after the beans have matured and seeds have formed -- assuming we don't get a frost first -- I will get another bed of beans next year, which I don't want. :)

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on "green manure"

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 10:10

I'm not a gardener but on the farm, we till in the weeds before they set any kind of seed and are still green. A weed being anything that we don't want growing there. Might be wheat, wild oats, canola, thistles, dandelions, etc.

Having said that, beans are in the group of plants that fix nitrogen on their roots so I'd be tempted to harvest the beans for consumption, use the tops for composting and till the roots in. (note the "I'm not a gardener", I do love to compost so I have a bias.)

Lloyd

o

That was going to be my answer. Legumes make nitrogen containing nodules on their roots, as I recall. Eat the beans, and when frost comes, mow down the tops and leave them in place, or cut and compost them. Leave the roots in the ground, or if you need to dig or till, go ahead and do that. A lot of gardeners don't till routinely, and if you decide not to, those roots will decompose in place anyway.

o

Thanks for the replies. I planted them for the nitrogen fixing, just wasn't sure what to do next. Still not entirely sure, but you've given me some ideas. :)

o

Till them in now. Green manure and cover crops are pretty synonymous terms meaning a crop planted to aid in holding the soil in place and meant to add organic matter to the soil as well as add some nutrients to that soil. These crops are tilled in, or sometimes mowed down for a mulch, just before they would set seed, ie. at the peak of their nutrient levels.

o

"Eat the beans, and when frost comes, mow down the tops and leave them in place, or cut and compost them. Leave the roots in the ground, or if you need to dig or till, go ahead and do that."

That's your answer. All sorts of approaches will work, and will work just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here