Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophiera

Compost research driving me nuts

sophiera
15 years ago

I'm from Malaysia and I live in a very limited space, about 900 sq feet with a balcony of the width of 1 and a half person 14 floors off ground level. I can plant pots, in fact I've lined up pretty much every spare space.

I have a flower tray like thing, that is really 1/3rd of an ideal hot compost pile (so undoubtly it's cold compost). Still, I am determined to do it even though I have limited supplies/land.

What I am very irritated while researching online is that since I have no lime, undoubtly the compost is a little bit accidic. Fungi are blossoming on anything soft that it can get a hold off.

I thought it was a good sign of air so I let it grow.

Then I've read in this website talking about compost...

www.garden-soil.com

It said fungi is not a good sign becuase the resulting product will be ammonia, not nitrate.

Plus it also said Earthworms don't do much for the compost as well. I actually thought of buying 50 worms just so they can eat all of the corn cob up.

And I am left very frustrated.

The compost is mostly made up of hamster bedding (corn cob, hay, hamster poo, leftover food), vegetable scraps, fruit scraps (i.e Banana skin) and urine.

Is this right or wrong? I am so very confused because there is one pot of my compost where nothing will grow. Perhaps it's too immature to be used.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company