Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
composting wood chips

Posted by davsher none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 10:11

Hi all iam using wood chips for composting the load i got today had an old walnut in it just wondring about the juglone. the chips had already started to break down . the pile had been there a year . i am putting in raised beds so wont be using the chips till spring. what do you think? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: composting wood chips

From what I understand juglone isn't present in the wood. Besides that, only certain plants are susceptible to juglone.

o

The Juglone is present in all parts of Walnut but in varying amounts that may not have much affect on plants growing under a mulch of wood from those trees. Most of the Juglone is concentrated in the roots to keep plants that could compete with the Walnut for nutrients from growing nearby.
I find the nuts from my Walnuts all over the place, destributed by the squirrels so where the nuts are may not have any other part to the tree.

o

I recall seeing a two paper article about Juglone and Walnut trees a while ago. Search 'juglone' on Google.

Different parts of the walnut tree had varying amounts of the compound juglone. Leaves were the easiest part to compost.

"Black Walnut Toxicity" W. Virginia University
Don't think this was the short article I referred to above, but it may answer your question.

o

There are also threads in this forum about juglone with some good links in them. It would take a little searching. But I think kimmsr has it anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here