Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70ks

Imprelis??

flowergirl70ks
10 years ago

Has anyone here had their soil ruined by Imprelis?? I have one bed that will grow nothing but bulbs. Evidentally weed killers do not kill bulbs. All daylilies are gone in this bed. It has been 3 years now since they were killed, and I finally have some seeds that will grow. Not very tall, but better than before.Evidentally no one knows yet how long this stuff will remain in the soil.
I lost a large locust tree to this stuff, 27 year old tree, 47 ft high. It took3 years to kill this tree.

Comments (10)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Suggest you contact your county's Extension Service office for current status and management

Locate the office with this map
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

• Lloyd
    10 years ago

From Dupont Imprelis:

"INTENDED FOR USE BY COMMERCIAL APPLICATORS
    ONLY"

"It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner
    inconsistent with its labeling."

"Read and understand the entire label before using this product."

and

"User assumes all risks associated with such non-specified use."

I would hope not too many people have used this product on flower beds.

Lloyd

• TXEB
    10 years ago

In addition to pt03's points, Imprelis shouldn't have been used on anything other than listed turfgrasses. Using it on a flower bed would have been a violation of the labeled uses.

Imprelis was taken off the U.S. market in 2011. Depending on the details, you may have a valid warranty claim for the tree. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: DuPont Imprelis® Limited Warranty

This post was edited by TXEB on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 17:27

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Um, you folks need to research the history of OP's comments/questions.

Briefly this:
    Imprelis was applied by professionals to turfgrass with the side effect that many trees in the turf area were damaged or killed.

This post was edited by jean001a on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 22:41

• TXEB
    10 years ago

jean - the history of Imprelis is pretty well known.

flowergirl - how did you determine that the problem was from Imprelis?

• Lloyd
    10 years ago

I've re-read the original post and am not able to determine who applied the herbicide onto what. Furthermore, I only see the OP mention one tree. Do you have more knowledge other than what is posted jean?

If it was applied by "professionals", then the liability for improper application should lie with them and any necessary remedial action (replacement of soil, plants, etc) should be upon their shoulders.

Lloyd

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was applied by my yard service on my grass. Flower bed caught drift when the wind came up.
    A letter was sent to all people who used this yard service.
    Du Pont sent someone to my yard to look at the tree. It will be taken out this fall.
    My post was to inquire if anyone knows how long this stuff will remain in the ground. Du Pont is conducting tests, but not much is known yet.

• TXEB
    10 years ago

flowergirl - the half-life of Imprelis in soil has been stated as 35-100 days (see link below). A study last year by the folks at Purdue found this to be valid over the course of a year. If you know the initial soil concentration, then using the slow end of the range (half life = 100 days) you could estimate the maximum residual amount. The question then is how low is no longer a concern? That will be species dependent.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSU Imprelis update for spring 2013

This post was edited by TXEB on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 5:53

• TXEB
    10 years ago

A good summary of pertinent Imprelis facts, etc. via the link below - see the many links provided therein to other sources

Here is a link that might be useful: MN Dep't of Agriculture - Information about the herbicide Imprelis

• nightwatcher
    9 years ago

I have several spruce trees that are severely damaged and some appear to be slowly dying a slow death. IMO, the class action lawsuit against giant DuPont is a joke. It is of my opinion that DuPont is in control of the courts and could care less about all of the damage that they have done.

Since around 2011, I have been doing a lot of research about the damage that Imprelis is still doing as it slowly works its way down into the soil. I read somewhere where the half-life of Imprelis is years and not days or weeks as DuPont claims.

Recently, i contacted Ohio State University who told me to contact the Ohio Department Of Agriculture. That was a waste of time. I offered to send in soil samples and wood samples since from my research, Imprelis shows up in the tree wood which should not be chipped and used as mulch.

I took plenty of photos of my large spruce as the damage progressed. I plan to put up a public Facebook page and post my photos and any information that I can share.