Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantveggies

Can you compost oatmeal?

plantveggies
12 years ago

I found a couple of expired Quaker Oats in the back of my pantry. Is it safe to throw into my pile?

Comments (15)

• berryman135678
    12 years ago

Yup,
    You would be surprised what folks here compost, old underwear, cardboard, and so on. But its all good, if it breaks down.

• plantveggies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I'm asking because bread and rice is questionable according to some folks.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

Expired oatmeal should be good for perhaps 10-20 years after the expiration date unless it is those serving size packets that have sugar and spice and everything not so nice.

• Karchita
    12 years ago

There used to be a saying around here ... it all leads back to compost. I'm thinking it's time to revive that saying. Basically anything that came from a plant or animal can be composted, with varying levels of skill required.

Oatmeal doesn't "expire". But if you feel like wasting it instead of eating it, sure, go ahead and put it in your compost.

• alphonse
    12 years ago

Belgianpup, that's a good summation.

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Nothing wrong with any kind of grains or grain products in the compost. I don't know where people get these ideas, but this one is just a myth.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

"Oatmeal doesn't "expire"." But sometimes it will "move" if not stored in a good container!

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

There is that!

And I find that almost any grain will develop a stale taste after awhile. I suppose vacuum packing or sealing in a nitrogen atmosphere would help. Whole grains are worse, like whole wheat flour, because the oils go rancid.

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

It is a 'green'. Add some dry leaves or straw or other browns to balance it.

• berryman135678
    12 years ago

Did you say the B word? Bread is strictly forbidden by some on this forum but embraced by the more open minded, free willed composter's such as myself.
    I am getting a new load of old pantry bread tonight to restock my composters.
    If you really want to stir ups some trouble use the oatmeal to make bread then compost the whole loaf....AHHHHHH

• annpat
    12 years ago

Oh. Yuck. You're making us all sick! Right? am I right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Planarian on oatmeal bread

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

I've heard that some people use oatmeal bread to make stuffing, then they compost the stuffing.....

Claire

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

OK, who forgot to lock the door when they left the loony ward? :-]

• curt_grow
    12 years ago

Loony ward??? Count me in!!!

Curt

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner