Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jordanpereira

Com manuare fertilizer

jordanpereira
9 years ago

Hey guys just looking to get some expert gardeners advice on how well a new buissness I'm trying to start up will succeed as far as what the product is and if you guys think that it would be a Hott item.

So to start my family owns a 800 herd dairy in which I live and work . We pile all out cattles waste in long piles were it sits to cook and compost . From this I was thinking of breaking the piles down into smaller piles and further composting it and sailing it as a fertilizer . I was thinking it could be a Hott item figuring its coming straight from the farm to your door . If it would be something everyone thinks people would find interest In I will continue to follow up with business permits and following up with everything else needed to package and sale .

Thanks - Jordan

Comments (2)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I hate to think about all of the obstacles in front of such an endeavor. All of the testing...of the cows and the manure and the farm. I assume that your herd is totally drug free and many consumers will want manure that does not contain manure loaded with GMO corn and soy products.

I'd think it would be very hard to accomplish what you need to and have it packaged to sell for a price that could compete with Black Kow, the bagged manure already on the market and on shelves everywhere.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

I don't know many consumers who would insist that manure be from drug-free and GMO-feed-free cows. I suppose there is a segment of consumers, but I don't think it's at the top of your list of issues.

You'll need turning, sifting and bagging equipment, shipping, and customers. Where are you going to sell the product? Wholesale or retail? Who are your competitors? Will you sell it in bulk as well as bagged? If so will you deliver or sell bulk only onsite? What state and local permits will you need for a commercial composting operation?

Obviously some people are doing it so it's not impossible, but there are a lot of things to consider.