Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacym_gw

inherited compost bin; next steps

KacyM
9 years ago

Hi all,
We just bought our first house and it has a lovely yard (so I am sure to be back here with plant questions very soon), but my first question is about compost. The previous owner left behind a large (the size of maybe 3 or 4 tires stacked, probably a little larger in diameter even) compost bin about halfway full. From what I can tell, it's mostly long pine needles and dry leaves. I know I need some "greens" in addition to all this brown. Should I just start adding kitchen scraps and grass clippings and water and stirring it all up? There seem to be little buggies inside (I tossed last night's veggie scraps and they were being attended to by little insects this morning that scattered when I lifted the lid). Normal? Problem? I'm very enthusiastic about learning to compost properly so I can take care of the plants on the property and start a little shade garden of my own. I have read a lot of posts about how to start composting, but not how to re-start. I can pick up coffee grounds from a local coffee shop, too.
Thanks in advance!
Kacy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm