Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do this fall with shredded leaves?

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 14:36

Last fall I shredded my oak and hickory leaves with my mower and DR shredder Vac. I spread them deep on one section of my garden where I planted this year. All was great!

I didn't turn them under, just left them on top. I laid off rows and planted, then pulled the leaves back when the plants were big enough.

The other section of my garden has been planted in Crimson clover and buckwheat for 2 seasons. I only mowed that section with my tractor and left on top. I just spread the seeds and lightly tilled with my harrow to get them in. I had a very good stand. Not a fully covered growth because of the other crop residue, but no weeds.

I have a crop of buckwheat that is almost ready to mow now.

I'm thinking of turning it under with all of the other residue. Then adding my fall leaves to the top and planting there next year.

Good idea or add them to the already mulched side and replant there next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do this fall with shredded leaves?

I'm not sure how deep the shredded leaves are or how finely they are shredded. I shred mine very finely and spread on top. I have enough area that they are not so deep and I do not have to pull back the leaves the next spring. They disappear once it warms up.

o

1. Spread them on planting beds as a mulch.
2. Add them to my compost bins.
3. Spread them on top of the cut Buckwheat as more mulch.
4. Mulch mow some into the turf grass.

o

I mix them with grass clippings to create compost for my vegetable garden. I have a traditional clover/grass lawn that creates enough of it's own nitrogen and OM that I do not need to leave clippings on the lawn.

o

Wayne, Mine are very finely shredded, almost dust.The mower shreds, then the DR mulch/chipper vac shreds them again.

It was at least a foot deep when I spread them in the fall, about 6" when I planted this spring.

I've pretty much decided to put the leaves in the same place. Turn under the buckwheat and other residue, and replant clover again.

Then next spring, mow the clover, lay off rows and plant corn since the prices on corn is so high. It's about 1/2 acre so I would have a lot, weather providing.

If the prices stay up, which I think they will, I could make a few bucks.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 22:00

I compost other peoples leaves to as hot of a compost as I can get. I shred my leaves(lawn mower) & use as a mulch on the winter garden, then turn them in the spring. I some times get leave & pine straw from my wood lot for the spring, also some early spring grass clippings from the field. I also use burlap bags as mulch.

o

i collect about 300 bags of leaves in the fall..
all are shredded with my mower..i save 1/2 for next yrs
compost,mulching,adding to potting soil..
the other i spade into the vegy garden with grass clippings
and rabbit manure..
im always surprised in late spring.. it seems to break down
nicely and im ready to get going with plantings..
i have found a mulching mower chops the leaves finer..

o

I have a MacKissic Merry Mac 12P chipper/shredder. It's a beast. I shred the leaves and use them as a mulch to keep the weeds down. At the end of the season I mixed them with 'greens' and started compost.

I don't think you need to till your clover/buckwheat under, but it might be helpful to shred it and leave it on top of the soil.

o

Idaho, I need to turn the buckwheat under so that I can get a good stand of clover. I will leave the clover on top after mowing and just lay off rows for my corn.

Yes, that MacKissic is a beast. But I'm lazy, My D.R. is a pull behind, less work and does the same job! LOL

o

I use my shredded leaves as mulch before I put down pine straw on the beds. If I have extra, they go into the compost pile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here