Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
confused_newbie

biostack vs earth machine on rodent resistance

confused_newbie
16 years ago

Hello all,

I blame you all for turning me into a compost junkie... not yet :) Anyhow, I tried lasagna gardening and thought that a compost bin would be more convenient. Cost has been a concern, but I just found out that I can get a biostack for $28 or an earth machine for $45 through my city and county. The bigger concern is rodents though, since I saw one running on a cable the other day, and it is a known issue from our house inspection report (they found rodent droppings in the crawl space).

So I read that the biostack has no bottom, which worries me, but it is cheaper. I am going to limit my kitchen waste to only fruit and veggie, and will dig a hole to bury them in the pile. Should I be worried about the bottomless biostack? What about the earth machine? What's your experience? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• organica
    16 years ago

CN:
    One deterrent is a piece of wirecloth. If you use a piece that is twice as wide as the Biostack, then you'll easily be able to shift from one side to the other when you're turning the pile.
    -O

• habitat_gardener
    16 years ago

Where I live, the main issue with roof rats is (1) fruit trees attract them, especially in winter, and (2) they want to find warm places to sleep in the winter, so they will chew whatever they can to get inside a house, attic, or (less commonly) compost bin.

Still, I wouldn't worry about the rodents too much. One cold winter morning I opened a bin that was one-quarter full of sifted compost and saw some rodent-size tunnels in it, so I made some noise. Then I added hardware cloth under the bins, since they had tunneled underneath. Haven't seen any signs of rodents in the bins since. I'd guess that the bins are placed where there's enough activity that they aren't inclined to chew their way in, and also, since I put only plant matter in (including fruits and vegs), it's not worth their while to try to get in when there's a whole garden full of easier-to-forage food near the bins.

But on a couple of used biostacks I got, I found bites big enough for a rodent to climb in, so I will have to remember to put those stacks on top or else make hardware-cloth patches before winter. I don't know the history of those bites (rodents? bears? dogs?), but it's useful to know that compost-bin plastic is no barrier for a determined critter -- and double-wall Biostack plastic is thicker than most other compost bins I've seen.

It was windy enough a couple days this past winter to blow the lids off the biostacks! I found them 10 feet away. Adding a brick or tying them down prevented it from happening again.

So in general, I think the type of bin is less important than bin management: put hardware cloth underneath (even if the bin has a bottom) to prevent tunneling, add only plant matter, don't leave the bin inactive for weeks at a time.

• confused_newbie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I will wire cloth it; I was thinking of putting the bin on concrete instead of dirt, but read somewhere that it needs the aeration from the bottom too, is that right?

• missti
    16 years ago

Hi confused....I am new to composting as well - just started last week - I got the earth machine.

The earth machine also has an open bottom - and although you CAN place it on a solid ground, it is best to have it on soil so that worms etc can enter the bin and do the work. If you place it on concrete mice can still get in through the air vent openings on the side anyway.

I posted a few messages here - I am terrified of mice and worry about the same thing as you. I have now filled my earth machine about 1/2 way, and buried only a few kitchen scraps into the middle of the pile - buried them in (so they don't smell as much) and say a little prayer that the mice do not come as I walk away LOL

I have accepted the fact that mice are outside...and I can't stop em all (trust me...I try though) - so as long as they STAY outside - I am ok with that.

Sorta funny tho - that I tap on the side of the bin with my shovel before I lift the lid....to scare anything outta there before I peek inside (I am sure the mice are out there laughin at me every time...)

Happy composting!

• organica
    16 years ago

I too found big holes chewed through my Biostack on one occasion. I had carelessly dumped in several boxes of stale breakfast cereal. I gather from other postings in this forum that many people compost bread and other grain products, but after seeing those holes, I don't.

It's said that wherever a person is, a rat is no more than 30 feet away. I'd like to maintain the distance.
    -O

• confused_newbie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

missti you made me laugh :) I might practice your ritual of tapping the bin too hehe.
    organica i am terrified of rats too. >_