Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prepare Beds for Planting Before Solarization?

Posted by raymondo17 z9 Sacramento (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:20

I'm going to try my hand at solarizing my raised garden beds. I've been growing in them for over a decade now, and while I do have good success, primarily with potatoes, garlic and onions, members of the nightshade family and even squashes tend to come down with various diseases early in the season.

My question is whether I should prepare the soil as if getting ready to plant, adding manure and compost, before I solarize or wait until after solarization? I would think I'd prepare it before so that the top layers of soil are treated and ready to plant in. But I'm afraid solarization would kill any beneficial organisms in the compost if I put that down beforehand. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prepare Beds for Planting Before Solarization?

I feel solarization doesn't work as well as it seems it ought to. Does that sentence make sense? It works best at the surface and the great heat sink of the ground makes the heat effects diminish rapidly with depth. I suspect you'll have to turn the "infected" layers often and get seriously vicious with it for it to work.

So, even with that, you won't have compost (or anything else) remain sterile for long if it's outdoors sitting in the dirt!

o

When properly done solarizing soil will get the top 6 inches of soil to about 140 degrees, hot enough to kill off many soil borne disease pathogens. Since these pathogens are killed off it only stands to reason that beneficial organism would also be killed off since they do tend to be less hardy then the disease pathogens.
Potatoes, members of the nightshade family, do well but other members of that family do not may indicate the source of the diseases might not be the soil. Leaf Septoria, for example, is borne on the seeds the plants come from. Powdery Mildew is air borne as might Downy Mildew be.
Knowing which plant diseases affect which plants and the source of the pathogens that cause them would be of more help in the long run.

Here is a link that might be useful: About soil solarization

o

If you're attempting to render the soil useless, then useless is not a target specific approach :-) if you will... it's an all or nothing deal. Instead of trying to burn the soil, why not just dry it out if most of your problems are moisture content related and add some porosity to the soil by increasing the void space in it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here