Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pun_king

Giant Pumpkin Patch

Pun.King
10 years ago

So I am preparing for a Giant Pumpkin grow for next year, I have no idea what I am doing as far as soil preparation goes. i am looking to have a compost heap directly on the spot I plan to grow. I was wondering what kinds of ingredients should I look for? I was told in the pumpkin squash and gourd forum that chicken poo would be good. Other than that i have no clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

• Lloyd
    10 years ago

The local giant pumpkin king grower around here used to scour the town for perfect bags of shredded leaves/grass clippings every fall. Not sure how he processed them but he (and his family) grew some pretty impressive pumpkins every year.

Lloyd

• Pun.King
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have already started talking to community members about giving me their yard clippings and i will be all over the village to rake leaves. so that's basically all i need? leaves and grass? Oh and i had planned on layering it, grass on bottom and leaves on top.

• Lloyd
    10 years ago

I'm thinking Ed picked the bags that were nicely chopped and mixed so he could work the material into his garden in the fall. I know he didn't compost his old pumpkins because he sent some out for me to compost.

As a disclaimer, I never actually saw his set up so I'm just speculating on how he used the leaves/grass. All I know for sure is that he'd get a half-ton load of bags every fall, he was particular as to what he took and he grew some pretty impressive pumpkins.

Lloyd