Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does potting soil expire?

Posted by jerem 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 17:48

Im curious if potting soil expires? In my area a bunch of places have bags of organic and non organic potting soil at extreme deals and im wondering if i bought a bunch of bags would they go bad over the years if i dont use them all? I would love to buy a supply to last for years since its so cheap, its only $1.94 for 80l of good organic potting soil, normally $12.99. Also does anyone here know if no name fertilizer would be just as good as say miracle gro? They have 1.7kg 15-30-15 for $1 normally $11 fert thats no name and was curious if it would be just as good?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does potting soil expire?

I would stock up!!!
even if it does expire you could refresh it with I don't know maybe compost or fertilize.
It probably has a time released fert. like osmo. maybe thats what expires.
I don't know about no name miracle grow. I don't like using that stuff, but a lot of people do.
I heard it's "plant crack"
the blue stuff right? unnatural color too.
not a fan.
Laura

o

If that potting soil was kept dry it should be good for many years, depending on what was in the mixture.
I do not and have not used any synthetic "fertilizer" so do not know whether one is as good as another. If you get your soil built up into a good, healthy soil those products are not necessary.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 9:51

I agree that moisture is the key. If you can keep the soil dry, it will last indefinitely.

You don't 'build-up' container soils. Hopefully, you start with a soil with good structure that has built-in longevity, because it's certain that from the moment a planting is established, the soil is on its way to structural collapse. If you want your plants to grow at near their genetic potential, fertilizing, in container culture, is requisite for all but the odd plant here & there.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being growing in the garden or beds, and 10 being hydroponics, container culture would probably rate a 7 or 8. Container culture is MUCH closer to hydroponics than it is to growing in the earth. We absolutely KNOW that hydroponics requires the continuous or very regular addition of nutrients to the medium, so it is going to be difficult to support the idea that you can simply mix a pile of ingredients together in spring, plant in it, and then forget about the plants nutritional needs.

No, you cannot depend on 'building-up' a container soil for the ride unless you're willing to accept plants that are growing at considerably less than their potential vigor. Somehow, you must fertilize.

Even if you fertilize and supply nutrients via nothing but organic sources, it's more likely that you're accelerating the collapse of the soil than building it up. Much of what works in the garden is better LEFT in the garden. Often, trying to adapt even practices that prove stellar in the garden leads to abject failure in container culture.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here