Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting tomatoes/cucumbers with diseased leaves?

Posted by SunshineZone7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 17:57

So happy I found this forum! I need help :)

I know one should not compost diseased tomato plants but how about the tomatoes? Are the tomatoes that come from the plants with say Septoria Leaf spot, are they diseased too? Same for cucumbers with that powdery mildew? Can you compost the cucumbers?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting tomatoes/cucumbers with diseased leaves?

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 14:28

bury them and you will be all right. If possible, in beds that will not get similar plants next year. Not only that, but burying organic matter recovers the most nutrients of any method.

o

Bury the tomatoes from diseased plants? Where, in the compost? And then you are saying plant different plants in different beds?

o

If you can be sure the compost will get to and hold temperatures in the 135 to 145 degree range for several days you can compost plants afflicted with Powdery Mildew, because the spores of that disease are killed by those temperatures.
Septoria Leaf spot is spread by spores in the seeds from affected plants, so composting the fruit from affected plants is not a good idea.

o

I'm a lazy composter, and don't know if I'm going to get a lot of heat, so I have a corner of my 1 1/4 acre plot where I take all of the "not sure" stuff to die!
That would be invasive stuff like morning glory, nasturtium, diseased tomatoes and squash. Anything with disease goes out to the east 40!
The rest that just dies goes into the compost. Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here