Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

How composting cures depression

Laurel Zito
9 years ago

I have always felt better after turning my compost. I found this article someone posted on facebook.

Here is a link that might be useful: antidepressant microbes in soil

Comments (13)

• glib
    9 years ago

The pathway is probably through colonization of the gut,with attendant improved absorption of minerals (better nutrition), and increased production of vitamins (ditto) short chain fatty acids (lower inflammation).

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Great link. I posted it over on the perennials forum after reading it here. Thanks.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Composting my ex ... now that REALLY made me feel good.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glib, no it's not eating the compost, it is composting like working with your bins or piles or what have you. You have to read the article. It may not be true, but its interesting.

• glib
    9 years ago

Never suggested you have to eat it. You get the microbes in your hands and skin, and they work their way into your gut.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think that is possible for them to do that. It has to do with breathing them, I believe if you check the article.

• glib
    9 years ago

article says also topical contact. either way, it is a healthy bacteria population on you. if they get in the gut, they will keep on producing those chemicals for you.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, yes I see, I don't touch the compost, I always wear gloves, throw away gloves. I found if you do touch compost, you can get strange infections on your hands. Not a safe idea, to touch active compost. I then throw away the gloves, because it is not even possible to use them again for something else. I use one time use medical type gloves.

• Lynn5107
    9 years ago

I always knew working in my beds and compost made me feel happy - just thought it was communing nature. This article makes sense to me. Neighbors have been telling me for years to wear gloves! Now I know why I love to hold the soil/compost in my hands and take a good whiff!
    All that said, I try not to touch active compost with my bare hands.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

It is certainly a very active microbial system and all the microbes may not be healthful. However, most people don't have major problems with it if common sense sanitation is followed. I'm sure there are a few people who are more susceptible and need to take extra precautions. Anyone who's immune-suppressed, for sure.

Meanwhile I need to read the dang article in order to comment on this thread rather than going off on tangents! :-]

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You get an infection thing under your nails or if you had a cut on your hand, that was tiny and you don't even you had it you can get a weird skin infection. Finished compost is safe to touch, but I always like to wear gloves, because why get dirt under your nails? This is a tip for ladies who care about nice looking nails or guys for that matter? Why look messy if you don't have to?

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

I've never had a hand infection and I rarely wear gloves.....for anything!
    I LIKE to get some dirt under my fingernails! I find gloves get in the way.
    Just me, I guess! Nancy

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those disposable gloves I can do most things with them, but those bigger gardening gloves or Playtex gloves really do get in the way. The only thing I can't do with gloves is stake and tie plants up.