Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aircapguy

Beer in Composters?

aircapguy
13 years ago

I've started using cheap beer (3 cans) once a week in my composter and noticed a dramatic speeding up of the working time for a batch.

How much beer is normal usage for a tumbling composter?

Comments (69)

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Hey Lloyd - let me know what time you get off work and I'll have one with you. I'll do the math on the time difference - LOL. You don't mind if I start a little earlier do you, it's hot here...

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• mean_74
    13 years ago

Mmmm, BEER!

• joebob
    13 years ago

hey aircapguy------easy on the troll thing ----some of my best friends are drunken trolls ---------

and they like to be called little people ---

stress is a killer bro -----

life is to short for such ----

live long and prosper .....and IACBTC---

JB

• gtippitt
    13 years ago

A packet of baker's yeast is cheaper that beer if you want some yeast.

• Lloyd
    13 years ago

Speaking of no sense of humour....This is my add on a local lost and found. I'm guessing it belongs to a child who lost/dropped it out a window of a car. Who knows, maybe the owner will see the ad.

;-)

Lloyd

P.S. Greg, off at 9:30 CDT, takes me 30 minutes to get to the Legion at home.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Okay, Lloyd at 8 PM I'll hoist one if I haven't passed-out by then. You know how us "druken trolls" are when we've had a few. I hope you find the owner of that Tiger, or they find you.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• toxcrusadr
    13 years ago

The serious answer took about 2 seconds and you already heard it - not much in commercial beer that's worth the money as a compost ingredient. But, it doesn't hurt either, so more power to ya.

I'm sure the Lord appreciates your speaking out in his defense, but He can take care of Himself just fine. Lighten up man, you're making it harder for the rest of us Christian beer drinking composters to make converts. The idea is to ATTRACT people.... :-]

PS in suburban environments surrounded by neighbors, used beverages are best donated to the pile *after dark*. I get no strange looks from the neighbors, just standing out there looking up at the majesty of the stars.

And that's all I got on this one.

• aircapguy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's obvious to me that for many of the respondents on this thread, the most important things in their lives is beer - not gardening. I'll look elsewhere on the web for my gardening answers.

• Lloyd
    13 years ago

"the most important things in their lives is beer"

Lol, had you read even a few of the thousands of threads/replies (whacko thread for sure) on this forum you would have discovered that this is not the case.

"I'll look elsewhere on the web for my gardening answers."

Your choice. IMO you got some good replies/opinions on both of your threads, but by all means, feel free to explore other forums.

Lloyd

• hoodat
    13 years ago

I'd never put beer in my compost. Nothing is worse than a drunk worm, unless it's a drunk soldier fly.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

aircapguy - I just have to ask - ARE YOU FOR REAL? I mean really - you asked a question that you "had to know" was going to get some joking responses. Did you really think that no one was going to tease about the question you asked? If so, then you need some help. The thing is, and you have to know it, people are joking in their responses. Again, you need to chill-out dude or you're going to die an early death. And if you have to know, I can't remember when the last time I had a beer was, but I do enjoy it once in awhile. I may have one with my homemade tacos tonight now that I'm reminded of it.

Here's a little help for you. You're talking about taking your hurt little feelers and finding another forum. Well, here's a religious forum that looks like they talk about gardening. If not it will be a starting place for you. Of course you could quit having such a thin skin, grow a pair, and stick around here and revel in the knowledge you can gleen from some of the experienced gardeners who participate in the fourms.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do...

Greg
    Southern Nevada

Here is a link that might be useful: Religious Forum

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Hey I just remembered something, I have to have a beer tonight after all. I'm having one with Lloyd at 8 PM PST.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

As aircapguy has already done his Goodbye-cruel-world post, I don't think there's much point in continuing this thread, unless it's to brainstorm on other ways to combine beer and gardening (besides slug bait). I have a hard time enjoying beer and gardening at the same time-- my beer gets all shaken up and hot, and sometimes soil gets in there. Maybe I should get one of those hats with the straws? Has anyone had good luck with those?
    This is a serious question, and deserves serious responses or I might get all a-tizzy.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

phytolacca, The problems you're having with your beer regarding being shaken-up and hot while gardening, Plainly shows that you are taking way too much time in consuming your beverage. Speeding-up this process will eliminate the issue you're facing.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

Greg, that sounds like you prefer the Chug method, very well suited to aircapguy's el cheapo brews. But what about those who prefer to savor their premium beers? There's got to be an application in the garden for a beer hat.

Look how much fun this guy is having, and he's not even gardening!
    {{gwi:304864}}

• mean_74
    13 years ago

Beer and Gardening and Compost. These are three of my favorite things! I have a great amoutn of experience combining these three things. Some tips I have learned:
    When it's hot make sure the beer is in a good can cooler.
    If it's really hot get two beers and two can coolers. It'll save you a trip.
    Use and empty can on top of the open can to keep soil and bees from stealing your beer.
    Keep a special bucket handy to deposit used beer into compost before dark - after dark deposits can go straight in.
    Repeat.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

phytolacca - No, I really don't prefer the chug method. Actually there's two types of beer I use.

CHEAP BEER:

This is the beer I employ when I plan on working outside in our hot desert sun and usually drink a few of them throughout the working day, (maybe more depending on how things are going that day). These occassions generally result in an over active bladder which in turn causes more trips to the compost pile. I don't want to waste time getting this "previously used beer" to work for me so I make an immediate trip there when needed. Having (2) acres and no close neighbors I can safely do this at anytime.

DESIGNER BEER:

This beer is most often reserved for indoor use at special times, or good meals, and is drunk slowly and savored. While there are numerous brands of Designer Beer I enjoy, I especially like Dos Equis Dark with mexican food. Inside drunk "previously used beer" is most often not used in the compost bin because at my age getting outside to the bin in time could be problematic.

Your picture looks like a good setup for the OP to employ for speeding-up his compost pile. With modifications to direct the flow of the "Cheap Beer" in to the bin would allow the process to proceed quickly and easily. The only issue I could see would be that if the neighbors spotted him with this compost beer setup and his Father is notified.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

mean - When utilizing my "Cheap Beer" in an outside hot environment I always employ the use of a "quality cooler cup" that surrounds the beer, keeping it cool. It's important that one uses a quality cooler cup as the cheap ones fail their intended purpose. If I'm having "Guest Helpers" in the garden, or it looks like it's going to be a long - hot - miserable day, I load-up a small ice chest. I've found that the small Igloo's work well for this. As a side note I always welcome helpers as this really speeds-up the "working time" in the compost bin.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• mean_74
    13 years ago

Greg,
    I agree with the types of beer. My gardening beer is usually a Busch light or somethigng similar. Water. My favorite designer beer has got to be Newcastle, but there are many close seconds.

There was a Monty Python joke about American beer and water. Something like this:

Drinking American beer is like having sex in a canoe.
    How's that?
    It's F'ing close to water man!

There. I'm pretty sure aircapguy will use that one the next time he's hangin out drinking in his garden.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Well mean, I think that aircapguy slinked away to another forum somewhere to chastise others who whould dare joke with him a little.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

"Well mean, I think that aircapguy slinked away to another forum somewhere to chastise others who whould dare joke with him a little. "

He's off pursuing his drug of choice-- DRAMA.

• pjames
    13 years ago

I always have a beer when I garden especially when I mow. Craftsman (who built my riding mower) fully intended the driver to drink during operation.. otherwise they would not have built in a can holder.

I call my grass cutting "Lawnmower Rodeo". I do it mostly one-handed. The object is to see how fast I can get it done without running into a tree (I have several) or spilling my beer. The contest has it's own built-in handicap....

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

"He's off pursuing his drug of choice-- DRAMA."

You know that's something that wasn't mentioned. Isn't beer a "Gateway" beverage that will lead people in to harder and harder beverages? Unless of course you're only using it to hasten the composting process. Something to think about...

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• schrebergaertner
    13 years ago

Aircapguy wanted to hear
    explications on composting beer.
    He was not amused
    when we joked "use it used!"
    He's now gone from this forum, I fear.

• ally99
    13 years ago

LOL! This thread was friggin hilarious. I LOVE beer and would never waste it in my compost, however, hubby brews his own, and I LOVE getting the yeast and other waste from his beer brewing days. That goes straight into my composter for (sad) the darn soldier fly larvae to enjoy pretty quickly. Grr! Those little annoyances have really slowed down my composting process! I'm so irritated, I think I'll go have a beer...to drink. :-)

• mean_74
    13 years ago

Greg's Gateway call was sthpot on. I've already smoved on to Capthain. Where will it end?

Is vomit a green or a brown?

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

"Where will it end?"

Turpentine and cough syrup.

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

This thread is missing haiku.

beer in the compost
    was not supposed to amuse
    so aircapguy left

There, better now.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Cough Syrum - hmmmmm. That reminds me of when I was going to Jr. High School. On the way to school some of the Juvenile Delinquents would stop-by the drug store and steal a bottle or two of it to catch a buzz. I think they went-on to become politicians.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• scubastan
    13 years ago

It seems wrong to just let this thread die now. Its doing soo well.

I know.. Tasteless. But I couldn't resist!

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

With so much in this world trying to make me upset, I found this thread a welcome relief.

I have two kinds of beer.. Lawn Mowing beer (I seldom mow the lawn, but...) and Sipping beer. Here in Colorado, we have a LOT of micro breweries, so, to help with the local unemployment issues, I try to keep them in business.

I am a Gardener, a home brewer and fairly spiritual. I will offer anyone a beer or a home grown tomato, and I keep my religion and politics for face to face relationships.

But my humor is for all to enjoy-- including satire and sarcasm.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Now that's well said, col sprg maters, and it's the way it should be IMO.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• toxcrusadr
    13 years ago

Been a few days since I checked in and there was a lot of catching up to do on this one...Whoo-wee! :-o

I feel no need to laugh at aircapguy, rather I'm a bit sad he's not better at making friends and tolerating 'regular' people. I fear he will not find many comfortable places on the net. This one is actually quite friendly compared to some he could stumble into.

I tend to have one AFTER gardening, when the work is done. :-q I do have a riding mower, but it's so old and decrepit it takes two hands to run the very stiff steering and make sure the deck doesn't slip down to 1/2" height unexpectedly...and no drink holder. Maybe one of those hats...

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

toxcrusadr, I think that in your case one of those hats would be just what you need. It would keep your hands free to keep from scalping your lawn and still provide you a little refreshment when needed. The only drawback I can see to one of those hats is that on a hot day you'd have to drink fast or your beer would get warm. Take it from someone who lives where it can get a little warm...

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

"Take it from someone who lives where it can get a little warm... "

Speaking of which, I may have found something to facilitate gardening in a hot climate. This thing accommodates multiple cans for enhanced "hydration" and each can has its own insulator. Plus, who doesn't want to look like Rambo?

{{gwi:304865}}

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

But - But - what about those whose Father would kill them if they caught them drinking beer? Or what it they just wanted to give a quick-start to their compost bin? How are these problems overcome?

Obviously this does diminish the possibility of your beer getting warm in hot climates, but with the amount of available beverage you'd still have to drink fast.

Back to the drawing board...

• toxcrusadr
    13 years ago

>Obviously this does diminish the possibility of your beer getting warm in hot climates, but with the amount of available beverage you'd still have to drink fast.

Two words: onboard compressor.

:-D

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

Well, I was going to give a serious response ...about using baking yeast foam in my vermicomposting pit [worms LOVE it, so would guess they'd lap-up beer, too. But my sons would send me to old folks lock-up if they caught me feeding beer to worms], but am too busy laughing.

• jerseybob_gw
    13 years ago

I don't drink while I'm gardening, only when I'm done. If I start on the beer, I'm done for the day.
    But the beer never goes in the compost pile unless it has been "pre-treated".

borderbarb,
    How can you tell if your worms have had too much to drink??

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

FWIW, I think paying for beer (even cheap) to put it in compost is a waste, plus you also have to recycle the cans. I think a yeast package would do the job well.

My husband does not drink (diluted) beer, he does home brew and home wine and we put the grains and other organic waste into compost.

Oh, and to hit the nerve on the OP - we are Christians and we know how to worship and how to party! God wants us to be happy and share our happiness with others. Everything in moderation.

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

jerseybob - good question .... pick an answer ...[1] they have to sleep it off on the vermicouch, because Mrs. Worm doesn't like beer breath. [2]They congregate around the foam and I can distinctly hear them singing songs about some vermi-hottie named Adeline. [3] blush .. well, we're all adults here, sufice it to say that they reproduce a lot after one of these yeast-busts.

No kidding, guys ... you should see my little wrigglers swarm over the newspaper infused with yeast foam. And seriously, ... all wonderful humor aside ... that old 'walk a mile in his shoes' thing is a pretty good idea. Maybe the guy who objected to the post has some pretty fresh pain to deal with.

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

"Oh, and to hit the nerve on the OP - we are Christians and we know how to worship and how to party! God wants us to be happy and share our happiness with others. Everything in moderation"

Amen!

"WHISKEY FOR MY MEN, BEER FOR MY COMPOSTER"

Nope. Doesn't work at'all.

• chickencoupe
    12 years ago

What a bunch of hypocritical losers. The same type who complain hearing constantly about "god" (not all, of course) never fully comprehending non-drinkers are tired of hearing about the god "beer". Over and over and over.... worship booze is a very disgusting characteristic. I never trust alcoholics drunk or sober.

But, I would agree. There are better ways to fuel the compost than beer or booze. The yeast was a good tip. Unsulfured black strap molasses is an excellent activator of the good types of microbes (in the compost, not the gut).

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Wow, you dug up this old thread just insult everyone again? You sure called us a lot of names in one short post.

"What a bunch of hypocritical losers."

Disagree. A lot of us are both sincere and successful.

"The same type who complain hearing constantly about "god" (not all, of course)"

Nobody does that here.

"never fully comprehending non-drinkers are tired of hearing about the god "beer"."

Suggest you skip reading beer-related threads.

"worship booze is a very disgusting characteristic."

Along with self-righteousness.

"I never trust alcoholics drunk or sober."

Bit of a leap, from 'cold beer after hot gardening' to 'alcoholic', isn't it?

I dunno what to think of all this. All I know is that the closest place on Earth to God is in the garden. Sometimes, though, I wonder if some people would recognize Jesus if he showed up, I really do.

• coconut_head
    12 years ago

Just as an FYI, watched an interesting documentary: How Beer Saved the World.

here is a intro:

How Beer Saved the World
    Did you know that beer was critical to the birth of civilization? Or that it played a crucial role in the building of the pyramids, the founding of America, the Industrial Revolution and advancements in medicine? That�s right � beer. Scientists and historians line up to tell the amazing, untold story that puts beer at the centre of the human civilization. Until almost modern times, it wasn�t just a drink�beer was vital to life. Where water contained deadly bacteria, beer was safe, as the fermentation killed the germs. It was drunk by men, women and children for a large period of time, and inspired great moments in human history. Beer was vital to the birth of America from the moment the Mayflower stopped in Plymouth � find out why!

So..... I reccomend learning about the history of Beer before anyone goes about criticizing something they know little about.

Also this thread was hilarious.

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

Coconut, I missed your post back in March, but for some reason I was inspired to dig up this thread today for a laugh. Maybe the warm summer nights did it. Parts of it are a bit sad of course, and it's a good reminder about tolerance. It's also one of the funnier ones we've had.

I saw the show, it was a bit of a stretch in a few places but interesting history if you take it with a grain of salt. And a cold draft. :-D

• dlangend1120
    10 years ago

Ha, I found this thread and didn't realize how old it was. I too combine beer and compost, but separately, and with a soundtrack (see link). In fact, I posted my first cyberspace mix on this very forum and it got moved off because it was "off-topic", which I found amusing since beer, compost & music go together like beans and cornbread, as Louis Jordan might say. And the best answer here was the person who adds beer to their compost "via the kidneys". Ah, well, the URL box doesn't like my link, here it is: http://www.zenrunningorder.org/index.php?option=com_zeromix&task=ViewMix&Itemid=9&mixID=4544

• livelydirt
    10 years ago

I'm new to this Soil/Compost forum. Love making compost, worshiping God... and drinking the occasional beer... and so did Jesus. Who needs Leno... I haven't laughed this hard in lonnggggg time. Thanks. I think I'll hang around this forum for a while. It will help me live a bit longer... and much more fun than going to the gym.
    The link is to my personal blog/website and doesn't contribute anything pertinent to the immediate discussion, but you might enjoy my sense of humor after the heinous attack of one Jack F. Rost. I live in Lively (go ahead and make a joke - I can take it), hence the title of my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

I like BEER!
    It makes me a jolly good fellow (woman)
    I like beer,
    It helps me unwind,
    and sometimes it makes me feel mellow....Makes me feeeeeel melllllloooooowwwwwwww..........
    By Tom T. Hall
    Nancy

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

Lively - welcome to the forum!