Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ditch the Double Digging?

Posted by raymondo17 z9 Sacramento (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 20:42

Every spring, and then again every fall when the season's harvest is over, I double-dig my raised beds: I clear the beds of all remaining plant material, then plunge a shovel into the soil and dump it to the side of the hole. I continue this until all the soil in my 4' x 8' bed has been turned. Then I sprinkle a bag of composted cow manure, peat moss, compost, bone meal and blood meal on the soil and repeat the process to mix the amendments in. I thought this was a means of replenishing the nutrients and improving the soil. But I just came across a video from my revered gardening guru, Paul James, that suggests that I may be actually harming the microorganisms in my soil. He suggests to instead use a pitch fork or broad fork to "stab and rock" the soil, basically aerate it. It certainly would be a less labor-intensive approach than my double-digging, but I'd like to hear from others who take this approach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardener Guy Video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ditch the Double Digging?

You only need to double-dig once.

o

If that.

o

So if double-digging is detrimental to the soil, how would one add amendments? Just pour them on top, maybe scratch them into the surface?

o

I ditched the huge work of double digging, and found that the garden did much better than when I was doing all that work. I found that the garden did not even need an initial double dig in areas that previously had been untouched. What I did was to till the old growth under, and then cover the area with a thick layer of organics, mostly manure, but other materials as needed for the soil. I would then till the mixture once more, cover again with organics as a mulch, and plant. The soil critters did the work for me. I was always amazed that I could put my hand down into what was formerly a pretty solid clay soil so easily. Water was absorbed quite well, and plants grew beautifully. I actually found that the double digging seemed to reduce the organics in my soil too quickly (an observation made by others who use the technique as well). In addition, I would find that the beds sunk a good bit over the course of the season. I will probably never double dig again. By the way, I started this practice after reading the Jeavons book on growing food; there were some good ideas in the book, but I think double digging was too much work, and did not provide the results I wanted.
Renais

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 8:45

Strangely, for millions of years there were no gardeners to double-dig, and plants managed to thrive and evolve. Man can never do as good as job as Nature does in opening and aerating the soil with her microbes, worms, beetles, and myriad other creatures.

Turning the soil exposes new weed seeds, exposes subterranean organic matter (where it then starts decomposing and is lost), promotes soil erosion, and simply is an exercise for the impatient who require something to do all the time.

Now given that...it could be very useful to expose bermuda roots to winter temperatures if done during the hardest parts of winter.

o

Once the soil is built up into a good healthy soil and has an active Soil Food Web they will move any nutrients you put on the soil into the soil. Double digging is a lot of work, often unnecessary, and can move the aerobic Soil Food Web down below where they can survive.
Where soils are walked and driven on and get packed down tilling might be necessary, but if the planting beds are constructed in a way that no walking or driving on is done tilling is not necessary, providing adequate amounts of organic matter are in the soil.

This post was edited by kimmsr on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 11:32

o

I read something about that rocking fork method in Mother Earth news a million years ago. In fact I think Jevons had a regular column in that mag, or else they did a big story on his methods.

Yep, the microherd will do the tilling for you, once you get some amendments down there initially. If you have heavy soil (clay), which I do, it's best to leave the porosity in place that is created by worms and insects boring through - 'secondary porosity'. When you dig this is all destroyed. I've got my beds raised up about 4-6" after 20 yrs of amendments, and I don't dig much except for tree roots. When planting individual plants like tomatoes, I just dig a hole and amend that, and mulch with compost and organic matter. The micro herd then incorporates that into the soil. When planting seeds by the square foot (or sq yard) I'll dig in compost very shallow, rake and smooth the bed and plant.

o

Thanks for the great responses here.

>I would then till the mixture once more,<

Renais1, what's the difference between the tilling you do and double digging?

So the recommended course of action would be to spread amendments over the top of the soil and let it be? And the microorganisms will do the work, even the heavy lifting like breaking up the large clumps of tomato roots in the soil? This sounds too easy. :)

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 14:04

By next spring, you won't be able to find those tomato roots (at least if they're under the soil).

The process is like a chicken laying an egg, looking under the chicken every five minutes, will not hasten the process and in fact may result in a broken or bloody egg.

o

I tilled the soil when I first prepared it so that I could kill the existing cover plants, and to begin to incorporate some of the organics into the soil so that soil critters would have an easier time getting to them. I used an 8 hp tiller so the tilling took very little time or effort compared to double digging. By tilling twice, separated by some time, I helped to insure that the old growth had been mostly killed.
Renais

o

Dead plant roots will decompose in place, leaving a network of tiny pipelines in the soil.

I don't mean to suggest you have to be a stickler about NEVER digging. Actually my experience was a gradual reduction in digging over time as the soil improved. And possibly as I learned about the importance of secondary porosity in clay soil. I have double dug my beds several times since I started 20 years ago, but won't do it anymore, except to get big tree roots out.

o

Double digging is tilling. Not all tilling involves double digging, though.

o

Read One Straw Revolution.
He calls it lazy man's gardening.

o

I do utilize using a potato fork some to hasten drying in the spring to less amended areas. Yes, you dig in 7 inches and rock or lift a bit. This can be VERY helpful when adding amendments or even rotted manure. It lets some of the added things trickle down lower.

Just today I used a tiller to better prepare a plot for seeding tillage radishes.

o

from this

o

to this, if you have easy access to organic matter, no till is the best, garden was watered once at planting.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 11:45

Double digging involves bringing the subsoil up and mixing it with the topsoil, which is undesirable. You want all the fine particles that washed down into the subsoil to stay there, and to not be bringing them back up to the upper level where they then make it less aerated.

o

I thought that double digging does not mix the two.

I have seen some really lush weeds where there was some mixing by tiling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here