Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost

Posted by Joyce91 10A FL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 20:51

Hello, I've been lurking here for a while because I started a compost pile back in April. I started with chopped Sea Grape Leaves, kitchen scraps and (thanks to you all) Starbucks coffee grounds. When summer rolled around I added grass clippings from the yard. I kept everything as wet as a wrung out sponge and turned every time I added., and tried not to sweat the small stuff.....and NOW I have beautiful, very dark, lovely smelling compost. I really thought this would take much longer, but I've got usable compost NOW. It must be my climate (West Central FL- closer to the equator and humid like you wouldn't believe). I'd like to thank all of you because as I did this, I would check back to this forum often and learned a lot. I'd wanted to start composting for a long while. Now I'm hooked. Soon the roses planted in my sand will have something that will catch some water and hold it for them. My part of Florida has an eighth of an inch of topsoil on top of sand. Thanks to all of you again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost

If one used starbucks coffee ground, one can harvest compost every two weeks, if you want to. If you don't it can take over 6 months to harvest some.

o

Great news! Most of the posts here are about how to get started or how to solve problems. It's so nice to have someone say it's working. Woohoo!

o

I have a compost pile that I started about 3 yrs ago. I was digging out some dark compost from the bottom yesterday & found what looked like a hole dug by some animal. It was approximately 1 to 11/2 ins in diameter. Anyone know of what it could be? Should I try to get rid of it? I had grubs before, but they're gone after spraying w/nematodes. Could it be grubs again?! Also, we have rabbits around here, I see them when I walk early in the morning. I've noticed something eating out of my compost pile. I have it surrounded with 3 ft fencing. Could a rabbit jump over that fence or is it something else?

o

That's way too big of a hole for grubs. Probably either mice, or voles. A vole is a mouse sized critter that eats grubs, worms and other insects. Either one can tunnel underneath your fence. They are not particularly harmful, and the compost pile is a biologically active place so it's not surprising to see them. If it bothers you or you don't want to encourage rodents, next time place a piece of chicken wire on the ground under your pile to keep critters from tunneling up. They are hard to keep out though, if they want in. :-]

For future reference, you can start a new thread on a new topic! More people will be likely to see it if it's not tacked on to a thread about a different topic. No worries, just an FYI.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here