Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Conditioner

Posted by fivemurfs 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 22:52

I've tried all sorts of mulches over the years for my perennial beds and the one I like best comes in bags at Lowes, labeled soil conditioner. It keeps down the weeds, decomposes slowly (unlike pine needles) doesn't rob the plants of nitrogen (like Midnight Black mulch), stays loose (unlike some mulches that harden on top and prevent water from penetrating) smells good and has a nice light consistency.

This is only the second year I've used it, and I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what it is made of and what are the long term negatives and/or benefits.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Conditioner

It should say somewhere on the bag, usually in fine print somewhere near the bottom of the bag, what it is made of. Pine fines are often sold as soil conditioner, and my guess is that that's what you have. It's very small pieces of pine bark, about fingernail size and even smaller.

However, I once bought a bag of something labeled soil conditioner which was a rock type material, similar to vermiculite.

Karen

o
RE: Soil Conditioner

If i'm not mistaken I've seen and bought bags of "compost" at lowes, and some of the bags came from a diff. company or something and I think it was labeled soil conditioner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here