Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobvisaa

Greensand Supplier West Central Florida?

bobvisaa
10 years ago

Does anybody know where I can buy a yard or 2 of green sand. I live in the Tampa/St Petersburg area of Florida.

Comments (8)

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

That's a huge amount. Greensand is expensive and as far as I know distributed in bags only. To get it loose like that you'd have to go the mines in NJ.

Your best option for mineralizing florida sand and increasing SOM is to buy the humate that is mined in south GA (available in 1/2-ton bags) and use a broad-spectrum volcanic dust like Azomite. This is the strategy that some citrus growers are taking, and I've seen the results.

I'm pretty sure you can find dealers of those products in your area, or I can give you a contact who will arrange a drop-ship for the humate in bulk. You should test your soil first, however, because if you are in drained swampland the SOM could be over 2% and in that case humate may not be worth the expense.

• TXEB
    10 years ago

Since greensand is a common TX product (Texas glauconite), we can get in bulk. In the Houston area it will run about $180/yard in bulk. Here is one local suppliers price sheet.

What's in greensand other than glauconite will vary depending upon the source. The glauconite is only part of what's in there. Some TX versions indicate ~ 2% P and 5% K in the sandstone mix that is TX greensand. Just be sure you know what you're getting.

You might find this info sheet helpful, from the same company linked above, and also this 2002 report from Rutgers on the greensand soils of NJ.

• TXEB
    10 years ago

Doh ... forgot to say ...be sure to post this in the Florida Gardening Forum. Probably get a faster and more directed response there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Gardening Forum

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Other than the phosphate mines there really are no bulk minerals in Florida. Since florida sand tends to be adequate in P there isn't any need to buy it if one manages the soil life reasonably well.

If I were in the OP's location I would look to get K from seaweed. Though now one might be concerned about petroleum contamination.

• TXEB
    10 years ago

Which raises the question, why does the OP want greensand in bulk anyway? Is it K, Fe, or something else specific? A cubic yard of greesand is about a ton. The top recommended rate for application is 40 lbs per 1,000 sq ft. A ton (a yard) would be enough for a bit more than an acre.

Q for pnbrown - do they harvest seaweed in FL for ag use?

This post was edited by TXEB on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 22:28

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

What is your soil lacking that makes you think you need such a large amount of greensand, which can come from New Jersey or Texas? Greensand is mostly used to provide trace nutrients, so it is applied in fairly small amounts where needed. Depending on the soils needs application rates for greensand vary from 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet to 100 pounds per square feet and that is providing the soil has adequate amounts of organic matter to provide the Soil Food Web that can convert what is in the greensand to nutrients the plants can use.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

TX, even when I lived near the ocean in FL I did not gather seaweed, so I don't know anything about what types are common. The west coast is much more intricate than the east, and so after storms I would suppose there are many places where it will accumulate.

• TXEB
    10 years ago

If you want to get nutrient specific (helps in determining how much to add), here is a pretty good survey of the composition of NJ greensands (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Chemistry of NJ Green Sands

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County