Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deebs43

Homemade bin for folks with little time or energy

deebs43
17 years ago

I've been reading this forum for quite a while and, based on the number of people who (like me) are concerned about the effort, calculation, and time involved in some forms of composting, thought some might be interested in how I've been doing it.

Context: I live in the Chicago metro area. Space and time are at a premium; possums and racoons are a dime a dozen.

I had a 25-gallon blue Rubbermaid tote I wasn't using anymore. I drilled two rows of holes around the bottom third of the tote and drilled another ten holes in the bottom. I used a large drill bit, probably about 1/2". Then I drilled a half dozen holes in the lid. It took about 10 minutes, and that's including the time it took me to find the blasted drill.

I throw kitchen scraps, leaves, shredded junk mail, dryer lint, and pruned flowers in the bin. When it rains, the water drips through the lid and moistens the scraps.

Animals can't get in, except the soil dwellers...those I find by the hundreds under the bin when I move it. Lots of worms, millipedes, pill bugs, and more. Sometimes mushrooms sprout around the base.

All I do is throw in scraps and move the bin around the yard--I change its location in the garden about once a month. Then, I just put my new plants or transplants wherever the bin had been living.

The results are excellent for the effort. All last winter I moved the compost bin around an 80-square-foot area, and the tomato plants I planted there this spring thrived. Tomatoes planted in other areas didn't do nearly as well.

The soil under the bin gets soft and loamy in only a few weeks. The best part is that I've had to empty the bin only ONCE in a year and a half! The contents just keep decomposing, being eaten by the creepy-crawlies and sinking into the soil. (Sometimes when I move the tote I find short tee-pee shaped hills of fine compost with worms crawling out of them.) Plus, rain makes a natural compost tea that soaks the whole area around the tote.

I'll take a picture later and post it.

Comments (15)

• deebs43
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just went out and took a couple pictures. Looks like I drilled only five holes in the lid. And I do throw coffee grounds and used tea bags in there.

We have a new visitor making the space under the bin home: a small toad. In two of the pictures of the dirt under the bin, you can see the toad, several pill bugs, and a very large nightcrawler.

{{gwi:307130}}
    The blue tote

{{gwi:307131}}
    Mr. Toad and friends

{{gwi:307132}}
    Big worms and lots of small bugs

{{gwi:307133}}
    A new mushroom

• gumby_ct
    17 years ago

Pretty cool ;-)
    I think the coons would take off the top but I am sure with a bungee that could be solved.

Neat idea, thanks for sharing.

• nancyjeanmc
    17 years ago

Now that's my kind of composting. Thanks for sharing.

• catherinet
    17 years ago

Actually, I think that's Mr. Frog!
    Okay......this is a great idea deebs. What I think you really have, is a compost tea bucket, that drains itself, right? You're letting the stuff in the tote age, while letting the water drain through it and out to the area below. That's a very cool idea!
    You've given me an idea. I have 30-50 gallon Rubbermaid containers in my backyard for veggies (yes, I know I'm supposed to use a different kind of soil), but what I can do during the off season, is put a small tote (for compost)on top of the soil in those containers, and let the "tea" drain out of it into the soil there.
    Great idea deebs!

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

Good job. Thanks for the idea.

• deebs43
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think you're right, Catherine...that is a frog. I don't live anywhere near water, so I'm not sure where it came from!

And I too think that the compost tea is the most important by-product of the tote (aside from keeping all that compostable garbage out of the garbage, so to speak). Even when it doesn't rain much, the soil under the tote is always moist, especially if I've recently loaded the tote with greens.

I also have noticed that the soil critters have moved into the tote. There seems to be some kind of pillbug nursery in there now--the compost inside the tote is visibly crawling and churning with bugs. I've even found a few baby worms. I'm sure that, too, is helping with the soil consistency under the tote.

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

Pretty clever. I might have to look for a cheap one of those!

karen

• singcharlene
    17 years ago

That's one of the best gardening ideas I've ever heard of. You oughta patent it. I'm going to try it tomorrow! Thanks!

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

I just started my first composting project with a biostack a few weeks ago. I could see using this in my small gardens throughout the winter, though -- I can handle all the small creepy crawlies, but I live out west and would be terrified of opening that container up and finding a snake who found a warm, comfy home---------- yikes. (I know, I know...)

• deebs43
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, I'd have a problem with finding a snake, too! Hadn't thought about that...If the holes were smaller, would that keep them out? Other than that monster snake-like worm under our bin (DH put his foot along side it-the worm is officially a men's size 10), we don't have a lot of slithering things.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I hzave been using storage tubs for a couple of years. I started out with the 25 gallon tub and moved up but i keep outgrowing them. Today I picked up an Earth Machine that someone on our local freecycle group was giving away so I hope this will last a little longer.

Penny

• emandjosh
    17 years ago

Do you have any problems with fruit flies in this bin?

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I have never had a problem with fruit flies in my tubs. I always cover the fruit and veggies scraps when I add them with compost from the bottom of the pile or soil from pots that I have emptied out. If there are any fruit flies or white flies, etc. in the area my hummingbirds and other birds have them for lunch.

Penny

• valentinetbear
    17 years ago

Thanks for the idea! Gonna have to do some adapting, since I'm a container gardener with a concrete backyard, but my mind is already figuring out the kinks. One question, one additional idea for those fearful of snakes, and some frog related comments:

Question: Does it matter what materials your clothes are made of to use lint in composting? I'm pretty sure we don't use polyester anymore, but, hey I loved disco and like to keep my clothes until they start rotting. LOL

Snake related idea: push down a layer of small-holes chicken coup wire (or similar thing that would create a collander kind of effect) into the Rubbermaid container you're planning to use -- it might not stop all snakes from getting in, but, at least, baby snakes can't jump at you as far, and, if they hang out there too long, they won't be able to get out, and hopefully will turn into compost themselves. LOL

Frog comments: As for your leopard frog living under it -- is his leg OK? Looks like his knee is cut. Also, you don't need lakes or ponds for toads -- irrigation ditches and long term puddles are enough to make new froggies! They're only tadpoles for a few weeks in the spring, which is the only time in their lives they need to be in water constantly.

Oh, probably too much info, but I grew up with a reptile/amphibian/rabbit/snake food (gerbals, mice, and rats) collecting brother, so I spent way too much time playing with the bare skinned critters growing up. On the other hand, if you can find the rest of Mr. Frog's buddies, I'm betting you'll find some nice big Miss Frogs! Them legs make mighty fine eatin'! LOL

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    17 years ago

I know this is smaller than ideal 3x3x3 ft, but do you ever get steam when you turn the contents? I am still trying to find suitable compost bins in my area for cheap Earth Machine, Backyard Composter, Biostack, and Garden Gourmet etc. Right now I am using 2 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash cans without a lid and no holes drilled into it. I just turn the pile compulsively and after I added tiny shredded paper with coffee grounds, this gets hot. Wouldn't mind using a few of these Rubbermaid totes for portable composters around the yard if they get hot.