Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What temperature to stop composting?

Posted by raymadigan 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 13:12

I have a compost bin that I monitor the temperature of on a regular basis. I was wondering at what temperature it is ok to remove the compost to start a new pile. If I understand correctly, composting occurs between 150F and 110F. Does this mean it is no longer hot at 110F. My pile is at 100F and I would like to use it and start a new pile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What temperature to stop composting?

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 18:01

Hi

May I ask what temperature you achieved, for how long and did the pile get mixed at all? I guess while I'm at it, are there any higher risk materials in there (seeds, diseased plants, food etc.) and what do you intend to "use" the compost for?

Heat isn't necessary and determining the 'doneness' of compost by heat alone is not usually done. There are several "phases" of composting, high heat (thermophilic) being just one.

Lloyd

o

Composting occurs at most any temperature above freezing, although much slower at colder temperatures. There are several stages of thermophilic bacteria that generate those higher temperatures, and maybe you would want your compost to hold at say 135 degrees for a few days for a valid reason but generally when the temperatures of your compost reach those hieghts it is time to turn the pile.
Turning does not mean stopping the composting activity, that will only happen when there is no more raw material to be digested.

o

Compost is ready to use when is smells earthy and the ingredients are unrecongizable. Color should be very dark brown, almost black.

Temp. is not a very good measurement of compost being finished or ready for use. Many experts suggest a 'curing' or waiting time after compost is finished.

o

Well, all interesting responses.

I have a system I am building where the pile doesn't need turning. The pile was at about 150F for about 5 days and the temperature dropped to 100F after about 40 days. It may have happened faster but I didn't have enough water in the pile.

It turns out that the pile dropped to about 85F so I figured it was close to ambient temperature and there was no more material to burn and was finished. What I really want to know is when is the pile considered not hot and safe to put into the landscape.

o

That would be when the compost does not feel hot to you and smells like good, rich earth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here