Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug Larvae in Coffee Grounds

Posted by chaase_nj 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 13:25

Hi,
I dried out and put aside a supply of Starbucks coffee grounds a few weeks back and was planning to spread them over the lawn when I slitseed next week, but I discovered some white worm like creatures feasting on the grounds. I'm guessing it's some type of bug larvae but I can't identify it for sure. I haven't had much experience dealing with any type of insects so perhaps this is very common, but I was fascinated by the way they curl themselves up, then sort of "snap" open to move/jump about.

I'm hoping someone can identify it from the pic and tell me if it's something that I should be concerned with spreading over the lawn or anywhere in the garden. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug Larvae in Coffee Grounds

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 18:32

"I'm hoping someone can identify it from the pic"

Abe Lincoln?

;-)

Lloyd

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 20:10

Again, Lloyd I have to agree with you, that is Abe Lincoln.
Or at least his likeness.
As for the worm, it is a fly maggot of some kind. I have tons of coffee waste compost & many grubs & food waste maggots have helped to make it compost.
It came a really heavy rain storm & drown thousands of these in a compost pile I had. Just put the coffee waste in your compost pile & the worms will do their job, in some ways they are better then earth worms. The grubs & maggots do the early work, but Red Wigglers like coffee ground in small amounts.

o

Chaase, you really don't have to worry about these maggots.....no matter 'who' they are. They are going to become breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all kinds of predatory species...you've enriched the banquet.

o

I have question to coffe ground spreaders, have you ever seen your plants become brown leaves if you applied coffee grounds or mold spreads on your plants if you have grounds under them?

o

Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 18:56

I am not sure who coffee ground spreader is, but I have had white mold, a yellow mold & other fungi(??) of some kind in my compost.
It is turned under with any leaves, grass clipping I have at the time. I have never had a problem with raw coffee waste or partially composted coffee waste in the garden. I think complete totally composted coffee waste or anything else is best.

o

There are those that think fly larva, maggots, are good in compost and manure piles and there are those that will tell you that due to the potential of disease transmission maggots are not acceptable in a proper compost pile.
Some people, apparently, get the Black Soldier Beetle (a beneficial insect that predates other insects) with the Black Soldier Fly which is a different species and the adult BSF serves no useful purpose except to mate and lay eggs the become the maggots the digest waste organic matter including manure.
One major reason Public Health people will fine you for having a compost pile is if they find maggots on that material, becuase flies are considered a health hazard.

Here is a link that might be useful: fly larva in compost

o

Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 1:57

Rats & roaches are more of a health hazard the flies.
All organic compost is more of a health hazard then chemical
fertilizers.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 12:44

no brown leaves from coffee grounds - make sure soil is moist before spreading mulch.

o

These jumping maggots pose no threat to your garden. They are attracted to the oils in the grounds. Their jumping just after watering can be quite entertaining as they pop like popcorn. This is one of the flies used by forensic scientists to determine time of death; they are one of the last to visit a corpse.

Here is a link that might be useful: jumping maggots aka cheese fly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here