Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

Need help with selecting compost bin

shadygarden_CO
11 years ago

I have a compost tumbler that I really like; it turns easily, etc., and I have had it for many years. My problem is that I recently moved to a smaller home with a smaller yard and a very picky HOA. I had another compost arrangement at my previous home that included not only the tumbler but a compost stacking bin that I was unable to move.

My HOA hasn't noticed this tumbler, but I need a bin to put next to it where I can unload the compost to "cure" so I can add more kitchen scraps and newspaper or leaves to the tumbler.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could find a really nice, "presentable," inconspicuous bin?

Thanks in advance,

Marlene

Comments (7)

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pictures of tumbler mentioned in post.
    Marlene

• Celbrise
    11 years ago

by cure you mean you just going to unload the finished compost or w.e. is almost done into the new one? if this is the case i would get one of those stationary compost bins. it's usually just square shaped and you place it on a spot and just dump the finished compost in it. it has a door on the bottom for harvesting and since it's just for curing i would assume no pests will even try to get inside of it to begin with. so it makes a good bin. this one isn't fancy i mean if you wanted to turn it you'd have to do it manually yet alone poke it with a stick since it doesn't have a huge wide lid for a pitch fork unless you unstack it and restack it. but this isn't the case i would assume. i also would assume it's cheaper because it lacks that feature and their are ventilation holes around it and it's bare bottom as well to allow bugs to crawl in from the bottom and compost. i would get a small one unless you compost a lot of crap to begin with but i highly doubt you do judging on the size of the tumbler.

i linked the pic of the compost bin i was suggesting something like that

Here is a link that might be useful: compost bin

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. That is something like I was looking for; I don't think it would be very noticeable or objectionable to the HOA. I will have to look up the price.

Marlene

• cheapheap
    11 years ago

Can you build a fence or plant a hedge to create a more private composting area? I know that some people like having a hoa, but the first time someone has a bad day you could (and eventually will) become their target.

Can you change the rules? It is strange to me that people hand over most of their property rights in the hopes that their neighbor can not park their boat in the driveway or paint their house teal. - So, since these people are your neighbors, it is probably not likely that the rules will be changed for you (but you never know unless you try.)

You are obviously already concerned that there could be a problem in the future. You are breaking the rules (agreed that it is a stupid rule.) So concealing your composting in a private area of your yard (hopefully you have one) might be the best option no matter what bin you choose to finish your compost in.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

• Celbrise
    11 years ago

i really don't even see why someone would get made over a compost bin to begin with it's a good thing your recycling whoever is against recycling is just an idiot who needs to get educated water alone is recycled who doesn't need water?

only problem i can see is if the pile was attracting pests/flies so i really wouldn't worry too much.

• robertz6
    11 years ago

I would take a walk around the neighborhood and see the types of composting bins and systems already in use.

One attractive idea would be a bench/bin arrangement, although the two I've seen advertised are quite expensive. One to two grand. It would certainly be possible to make one, for a cheaper price, and incorporate your own ideas.

The bench/bin idea combines a outside wood-style bench with a bin under the seat. If I were making one, I might dig into the ground a bit, to get a decent bin height while not making the seat too high off the ground.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

You might use a plastic trash bin and drill holes in the bottom and perhaps more on the sides for ventilation. It would blend right in with your other trash bins - unless your HOA disallows trash bins! If I had to live within the strict rules of a HOA I'm sure I'd be breaking a few rules behind the tallest hedge or fence allowed! LOL Altho looking at your pic it doesn't seem that there is much privacy anywhere.